What's up with 8 hour shifts instead of 12 hour shifts in Phych Nursing?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Mass Gurly Mass Gurly 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Author
    Psycho Psychic
    Psycho Psychic
    Participant

Hi,

I’m a psych nurse and I’m looking for a position in another facility. I have gotten a bit tired of the same old thing and need a change. I want to work 12 hour shifts, because I like the idea of having more days off a week and my philosophy is that once you’re at work you may as well carry on working. I frequently work overtime and end up with way more hours than what I would like to work.

One of the things I’ve noticed though is that there doesn’t seem to be any 12-hour shifts out there for this specialty. Does anyone know why this is the case when most nursing specialties have 12-hour shifts?

Crazy Psych Nurse
    Crazy Psych Nurse
    Participant

I think it’s probably because psych nursing is so different from other specialties. The patients can be very demanding, irritable and unpredictable. It’s more dangerous than any other specialty and nurses are frequently hit, slapped, punched and the list goes on.

So I think limiting the time with them is probably why there are not 12-hour shifts.

Nelly
    Nelly
    Participant

For some reason, it is that way. I don’t think psych nursing is any more psychically or mentally stressful than any other profession but agree that it may be more dangerous

There are particular specialties that do focus on one or the other (8 vs 12 hour shifts).

I know that the OR, ICU and the ED seem to always have mostly 12-hour shifts,

Case management, filed nursing, Psych Clinics and working in Doctor’s offices, will usually find you working 8-hour shifts. Often these jobs tend to be salaried too, so they seem to want you to work 40 hours which saves them money in the long run, paying overtime.

I don’t think there is any correlation between stress and the number of hours they schedule you for the day. These facilities just need a warm body and don’t care about how stressed you are.

It’s the almighty dollar that these facilities care about. It’s cheaper not to pay overtime…period.

Mass Gurly
    Mass Gurly
    Participant

Well, I don’t think any one specialty is more stressful. That’s not true at all. I can’t believe you’d even think that. All nursing specialties are stressful. Spend an hour in the ICU and I bet you’d change your tune in that one.

Yes, it may be more dangerous, but as others here have said, facilities don’t give a hoot about your stress level. They care about money. That’s the bottom line on this.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.