Do you take medication administration short-cuts?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Magic Mike Magic Mike 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Nelly
    Nelly
    Participant

Do you take medication administration short-cuts? I work in psych and it’s a pretty large facility. I am seeing a new trend that I’m not really sure I like here and I’m wondering how many other nurses do this. I’m seeing some nurses filling cups with meds and labeling them with each patient’s name and then passing the medications from the cups.

I think there is way too much danger of error here and I don’t agree with it, but the nurses who seem to be doing this are new nurses. I’m beginning to wonder what they’re teaching in nursing school these days because this just doesn’t seem right. I think it’s an accident waiting to happen. what do you think? Do you take medication administration short-cuts?

DO you take medication administration short-cuts

Texas Hold Em
    Texas Hold Em
    Participant

Yes, I’ve seen lots of nurses do this. I’ll be honest here, I’ve done it myself. When I know the patient really well and I know what medications and dosages they’re on I will do a few in advance, so I don’t have to take the medication cart with me because I believe this is more dangerous due to psych patients getting their hands on these drugs. I don’t like that idea at all.

Pre-filling is also less time-consuming.  I do know that it’s against most facilities protocols though. I think if you know your clients well, I don’t see what the problem is.

Dont be Tachy
    Dont be Tachy
    Participant

Anything other than the five rights for clients is wrong. They are in place for a reason and we have them drummed into us in nursing school for a reason. If Medicare catches you doing this the facility will lose their reimbursement. It’s not worth it to save a little bit of hassle.  Your patients deserve much better than that.

Magic Mike
    Magic Mike
    Participant

It’s against JAHCO rules and I wouldn’t ever dream of doing it. It’s way too risky and I don’t want to lose my right to practice nursing over a med error that could’ve been avoided.

I hope you have good mal-practice insurance if you’re gonna do this too.

Laura Marie

Prime example why patient to nurse ratio needs to change!

Laura Marie

Laura Marie

Laura Marie

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.