Seeing someone you know coming through your facility

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Amy 2 days, 6 hours ago.

• Author
    Crazy Psych Nurse
    Crazy Psych Nurse
    Participant

I graduated from nursing school 11 years ago and have worked in psych nursing ever since. I have not seen anyone come through the facility that I knew until yesterday. It’s not like I didn’t know it was a possibility, but didn’t know how I’d really feel about it till it actually happened.

I girl I went a school with came in for substance abuse and addiction. I don’t know how to handle this. Should I be reporting her to the board of nursing, or should I just mind my own business? Also, there is a HIPAA law too. So would I be violating it if I reported her?

It was very awkward when I saw her and I know she must have felt bad about seeing me too. I feel bad for her, but I want to also make sure that she isn’t practicing while intoxicated too.

seeing someone you know coming through your facility

Christine BSN
    Christine BSN
    Participant

Interesting topic for sure. A tricky situation. I think I would just shut up about it. She is getting help for it and you owe her the same privacy you give everyone else. Just leave it alone and stay out of it

Nelly
    Nelly
    Participant

You’re obligated to report her to the board. They need to know about it because she is a risk to her patients if she is working and she’s an addict. I know it would be hard to report her, but you really need to because that’s what the board expects from every nurse.

Amy
    Participant

Hi all!

So what I’m hearing you say is that a patient  is voluntarily seeking help for their addiction and you happen to somewhat know who this patient is? But are questioning calling the BON on them bc, well, what if?   Do you work with them in any capacity?

This is just a knee jerk response here and I haven’t looked up rules/regulations or laws etc but if that were me (as the pt) let’s just say the establishment you worked for would be facing a lot of legal issues..as would you.

To me, if you worked with a nurse and saw them exhibiting behavior that could negatively affect patients then that’s very much a reason to be concerned. But there is a chain of command to follow even with that. She is to be commended for getting help but even if she isn’t, I personally don’t think it’s any of your business. The BON wants nurses to get help if needed.

In fact, I would’ve walked up to her and said “listen, I know you are uncomfortable seeing me but don’t worry. I’m legally bound by confidentiality and I’m proud of you for seeking help. Let me know if I can help”.

Again, just my opinion and may not be correct but if getting help is punitive, what would motivate any professional to seek help?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.