Pot Smoking is legal now in California. Does that mean nurses can smoke it too?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Nurse Brielle Nurse Brielle 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Author
    Lincoln Lover
    Lincoln Lover
    Participant

Hello all,

I don’t smoke pot, but as most of us can say, I did in college, way before I became a nurse. I have noticed a couple of shops opening up near me in the last couple of days and they sell all different kinds of pot. It’s very alluring to say the least. I wouldn’t mind smoking the odd joint here and there., but I’m a nurse and not sure if we are allowed to do that.

I know it does impair you slightly and I would never consider doing it on the job, but wouldn’t mind the odd joint on my off time. Afterall, nurses are people too and I think they should be able to do everything that other people are allowed.

With it impairing you, what’s the difference between pot or alcohol? I think pot is actually safer really. Alcohol makes you stupid. You have no control over your body when you drink too much, yet I’ve seen nurses drinking at parties and other events. Nurses can drink. We are not normally tested for it either.

I just wonder if hospitals will start urine screening in California because of this law and the stress nurses are under. I think many nurses will turn to pot now that it’s legal. Thoughts?

pot smoking is legal now in California. Does that mean nurses can smoke it too?

Nelly
    Nelly
    Participant

Hmm, interesting question and obviously this is my opinion, but I don’t think nurses should be smoking pot. Nurses aren’t the regular Joe-Blow out there doing whatever they want during their off time. They are held to much higher standards. We represent the health of the public and I don’t think smoking anything is healthy. In fact smoking a joint is the equivalent of smoking three cigarettes and just not a good idea. I would steer clear and yes, I do think facilities will be testing more often. Just because it’s legal, does not ever mean it’s good for you. It’s the greed of the government that makes these things that are bad for us legal. They want their piece of the pie in a booming business

Nurse Brielle
    Nurse Brielle
    Participant

What you do in the privacy of your own home should be your own business, but I guarantee you that you’ll be setting yourself up for failure. If you are completely sober at work and you make one mistake, they’ll do a drug screen. The THC in pot stays in your system for three months because it attaches to the fat in your body. So you’d be positive and that would be held against you by the BON.

Be very careful with this one. I don’t think it’s worth the risk. You don’t want the BON on your back…trust me.

Amanda Blankenship

The only problem I see with nurses is, if something happens on the job and they drug test you, they won’t be able to rule out if you were high while on the job due to marijuana staying in the system for up to two weeks.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.