Working in chemical dependency and hating it

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Rebekka889 Rebekka889 2 months ago.

• Author
    Lady Loo
    Lady Loo

Hello everyone,

I am currently working in chemical dependency nursing and I absolutely hate it. The clientele are detoxing and all they care about is drugs. They are rude and combative and I have been doing this for a year. I can’t stand another year of this. I have to make a change…soon.

I don’t like dealing with people who want to blame others because they are addicts. It’s the addict mentality I know, but I have no sympathy for these people. I don’t believe this is a disease, I believe it’s a choice to become an addict and it’s a choice to become clean or better still, to never use.

Because of this, I don’t think I can help these people. I am very negative with them and they don’t like me cause I don’t buy into their crap. I am wondering what other types of nurses are out there. What else can I do?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #80953 Reply
    Rebekka889
    Rebekka889
    Participant

Chemical dependency nursing isn’t for everyone. It’s very trying and stressful at times, but I think you’ll find that in any specialty of nursing. The great thing about nursing is that you can work in all different specialties and you never have to stay in any of them if you don’t want. If I were you I would test out other specialties. I would steer clear of psych nursing and correctional nursing if you are not keen on working with addicts. ER can have its fair share of addicts too.

Do, I think you should just start honing in on your skills like med-surg and then you can branch out from there and you’ll have the skills to do it. You do tend to lose a lot of your clinical skills in chemical dependency nursing, which is why you would need to practice those a little more.

Hang in there, you can always find something you like in nursing, and that is the beauty of it. Good luck on your search

Reply To: Working in chemical dependency and hating it

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: