Problems with motivation in nursing school

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Wendy Wendy 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Tina Sue
    Tina Sue
    Participant

I’m really struggling this year and I’m wondering if  anyone is in the same boat? I’m having a real problem with motivation and I can’t convince myself to open a book.

I’m wondering how others get through these times during nursing school. If you have any tips, please let me know. I don’t want to fail this semester and it is my second semester. I never felt this way during first semester.

I don’t know if it’s just that OB doesn’t interest me at all, nor do the clinical in OB. I didn’t find first semester overly difficult either. I’m finding this semester very challenging. I have some things going on in my personal life too.

I’m just kinda freaking out and trying to find some kind of balance. Suggestions?

problems with motivation

Brown Eyed Girl
    Brown Eyed Girl
    Participant

You are going to have to find the motivation and in a hurry. Nursing school classes can really slip out of your grasp in a hurry if you’re not careful.

If what you’re going through emotionally is too much to deal with as well as getting a good grade in school, then I suggest you withdraw.

I went through a divorce during second semester and it was too much for me to handle both. I didn’t want to fail and so I just withdrew then went back the following semester. It sucked, but at lease I didn’t fail the semester.

Punchy
    Punchy
    Participant

When I had a problem getting motivated while in nursing school I always looked for material things that I wanted to buy when I got out. I really wanted a camper and I used to look at them all the time and say, one day I will have one of these. LOL

Seems kinda silly right now but it worked for me. I now have a beautiful home, a new RV, new car and some great other things that I would never have been able to afford without nursing school.

Maybe you can put a private board on Pinterest and add things that you dream of and one day will have when you complete school and land a good job. Call it your dream board and look at it frequently as a reminder of why you decided to become a nurse

Wendy
    Wendy
    Participant

We all lack motivation at times. I think that’s pretty normal. It’s also normal to be a bit depressed when you’re in nursing school when you feel like you’re never going to be done. But just remember the story of the tortoise and the hare. slow and steady wins the race. There really is a light at the end of the tunnel when you keep moving forward.

If you don’t exercise, then start because it will help you feel better and have a better outlook on your life.

I agree, that if you are having serious issues in your private life then you should do the best thing by stepping out of the semester before you do fail. It’s a hard decision, but one you should make if you really don’t believe you can juggle your life and nursing school, because school has to be your number one priority.

Also, don’t sit around procrastinating. Instead just do it. Go through the motions. Pick up your books and just start studying and before you know it you’ll have your studying done and can move on to other things in your life :yahoo:

Kiiza Lawrence

Just what you can do is to join a discussion group which will force you to open a book as your carring out a research. Thanks

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.