Failed the NCLEX…Now what?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  RN.soso 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Aspiring Nurse
    Aspiring Nurse
    Participant

This is the first time I have ever posted on this site but I need some really good advice.  I took the NCLEX two weeks ago and I tend to have anxiety really badly. .

I was really scared and they weren’t very nice to me which made it even more intimidating. I had a full blown panic attack about failing and felt as if I couldn’t even breathe. I’m sure I looked petrified. I tried my best to calm down but by question 40 I was shaking so badly I could hardly use my hand.

The questions went past 75 and then on into the 90s. They cut off at 98, but I’m pretty sure I failed miserably. It’s a horrible feeling when you have so much riding on one test.

What’s the best online review course?  Thanks in advance for all your help

• This topic was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Aspiring Nurse Aspiring Nurse.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Onlyanurse Onlyanurse.

Onlyanurse
    Onlyanurse
    Keymaster

I’m so sorry to hear about what happened to you and I know it’s un-nerving to take this test. It does seem like you need to get your stress in check before you attempt it again. Test anxiety can be unbearable. your situation and we appreciate your honesty. It seems like you have the right

Have you tried meditation and self-reflection? Yoga is also a great way to deal with anxiety and fear. Remember that in the scheme of things that it’s just a test and you are not defined by it. It has no reflection on how good a nurse you are or will become either.

Everyone gets nervous on the day they take this test. Regardless of how old a nurse is she always remembers everything about the day she took the boards. I even remember the clothes I was wearing that day and it’s been 20 years ago.

Get a good review course and read for understand. Read and understand till your ears turn blue and you can’t read anymore. Then when you go in to take it you’ll no the way to answer the questions so well that no amount of anxiety will cause you to not be able to pass. the best of luck to you!

Workin Nurse
    Workin Nurse
    Participant

Oh I’m so sorry about your situation. It’s never easy to fail at anything. Uworld has SATA and they have priority questions which are weighed more on nclex exams. The only

The only qbank that I have experience with is  UWORLD. Hopefully you find a good one and study your little heart out and go in there next time and rock that test!

TondraK90 RN
    TondraK90 RN
    Participant

Concentrate on what you’re weak on and work through the entire thing again. Order another 30 day UWORLD and work through all of the questions. these questions are typically more difficult than the nclex questions.

I never used Saunders of Hurst so I really can’t speak for those.

Next time be sure and take your medication if you think that will help. I wish you the best of luck

Surfer Nurse
    Surfer Nurse
    Participant

It doesn’t matter how smart you are or how much you study if you have test anxiety it can cripple you. Especially for such an important test. I would talk to a counselor about it if you suffered that badly.

I do agree that anyone with test anxiety should study their brains out that way even when the anxiety kicks in and you lose your concentration you’ll still be able to pass because you’ll know it like the back of your hand.

Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t and keep plodding on. Definitely take your medication next time if you are used to taking that.

Angela Browning RN
      Angela Browning RN
      Participant

I think if you need to take drugs to take the test then you don’t need to be a nurse. I know that sounds harsh, but you can’t take drugs when you’re making decisions that affect patients lives all the time while you’re at work

Too Shy
        Too Shy
        Participant

First of all I don’t think that’s very fair to say Angela because you have no idea what medication she is taking and just because it’s for anxiety doesn’t mean it will impair her. Just as you would take tylenol for pain during work you should take you medication for anxiety before working as long as it doesn’t impair you.

Many anti-depressants are used for anxiety now and they don’t impair you, but if you missed a pill they could certainly cause you anxiety. Don’t be so judgemental

xrayTed
    xrayTed
    Participant

I felt the same way when I first took the test. I would just faze out and I couldn’t concentrate at all. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. After paying for the nclex exam and then  paying for review classes I couldn’t afford to see a doctor and wouldn’t have gone anyway.

I knew the reason I failed wasn’t because I was unknowledgeable about the material. So instead I focused on breathing techniques and trying to calm myself down. I agree, I think a counselor who specializes in people who suffer from anxiety would be a good start if you can afford it.

I also did uworld, but I spent a lot of time medicating and concentrating on my breathing. I go plenty of sleep before the exam and layed off the caffeine.

When I began stressing really badly during the test I would just look away and concentrate on my breathing and meditation for a few seconds. The once I looked back at the screen it would be back in focus and the question made sense.

I passed with a 75 this time and the first time the questions went all the up into the 200s.

When you receive your test results you from the board of nursing, they will tell you what your weak points are then is when I would go ahead a get your study course. I got the uworld 30 day. Initially I used hurst and Saunders. Kaplan is also really good though. I like uworld because they add different questions to their qbank every few days. So I got pretty familiar with that and I did the ones I got incorrect over.

Don’t give up and don’t listen to rude nay-sayers!

I hope that helps and good luck!

Canadian King
    Canadian King
    Participant

I’m really sorry you didn’t pass, but persevere and you’ll get there. Whatever you do don’t drink caffeine it really adds to anxiety. Get lots of sleep the night before and try GABA. I think it helps a lot with my anxiety and it’s a herbal supplement and not a drug.

I did the Kaplan review so I could study at my own pace. Best of luck!

Angela Browning RN
    Angela Browning RN
    Participant

I used saunders and I passed the first time so I can’t say enough great things about it.

Yogini Nurse
    Yogini Nurse
    Participant

Oh my,

I’m sorry you are having such a hard time. I used Saunders Nclex review and that helped me tremendously. I also think you should try some yoga and meditation and try not to be so hard on yourself. You’ll pass.  It’s just a hiccup in the road.  We all have them and it doesn’t make you a bad nurse. Hang in there and conquer the thing. You can do it…You really can. Stay positive and good luck.

Beth

She doesn’t know she has failed yet she feels like she failed the test went into the 90’s she may have passed if not it would have kept going everyone leaves the testing center feeling like they failed, so don’t assume you failed.does your BON participate in quick results? I hope you passed..

Aspiring Nurse
      Aspiring Nurse
      Participant

Yes,

I just found out that I did indeed fail this time and I just knew I had. I’m sure everyone leaves feeling that way, but I just knew I had failed. I did get the results through quick results.

Thanks everyone for your help so far

Bama Nurse
    Bama Nurse
    Participant

Awe, I’m so sad to hear that. I know it must feel extremely overwhelming and devastating. I think you should try some non-pharmacological ways to deal with your anxiety and get it in check. Self-guided meditation is very effective as is GABA and Valerian root. although you need to hold your nose when you take the valerian because its smells like stinky socks lol

Calcium and melatonin are also good for calming your nerves.  Calcium, as many folks don’t know is a natural sedative, which is why they tell you to drink warm milk before bed. It’s not the milk that makes you tired, it’s the calcium in it.

Melatonin is a natural hormone found in the pineal gland of the brain and it induces sleep when taken before bedtime. It doesn’t give you a hangover either.

RN.soso
    Participant

Hi there

I just joined the site a minute ago and sow your topic . So sorry to hear that but let me motivate you first . I took this test one year back and I failed twice because I wasn’t prepared enough plus I was so stressed and nervous but not any more because I took 1 year practicing along with my preparation process and I am almost ready to retest again with confidence . Don’t give up and do your best if you really want to pass this exam I have website for you consume it as a gift  :good:  it contains a lot of ncelx tests where you can do free practicing tests and it gives you as well a perfect ratio for the wrong answer. Hopefully it help you dear this is the site ( rnpedia.com )

Good luck ..

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.