Failed Nursing School-What should I do?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Simon 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Small Fry
    Small Fry
    Participant

Hi everyone, I began nursing school fresh out of high school. I believed nursing would allow me to do what I have always wanted, and that was to help as many people as possible. Fast forward three years later, and I have just failed out of

I am (was) a nursing student at a community college and I have always wanted to be a nurse. Even when I was a little kid I would dress up as a nurse and my patients were my dolls and teddy bears. and I I began nursing school fresh out of high school. I believed nursing would allow me to do what I have always wanted, and that was to help as many people as possible. Fast forward three years later, and I have just failed out of

I have worked so hard and I was in my last semester, but I have failed several tests and I have been kicked out of the program. It’s not that I’m dumb, I just panic when it comes to tests. I guess you could say I have test anxiety.

I am excellent in my clinicals and my instructors love me, I am just horrible at taking tests. I literally feel like I am gonna pass out. I get lightheaded and I zone out and forget anything. It’s like my brain just refuses to work.

Now I’m trying to figure out what I can do. I could just wait the year that the college requires and then apply to go through the whole process again.

I can become an LPN by starting school for that soon. I could also just give it up and move on, realizing that nursing just isn’t for everyone.

What do you all think?

Onlyanurse
    Onlyanurse
    Keymaster

I’m so sorry you failed nursing school. I have not experienced that, but I believe that if you truly want to be a  nurse then you should apply again after a year. Hopefully, you will be accepted. You should also check into what is going on with your anxiety. Go see a psychiatrist and see if there is anything he can do to help you keep your anxiety at bay.

I did suffer from anxiety when I was in nursing school. Not necessarily test anxiety, just a constant state of dread because I was so afraid of failing. Get help for your anxiety and get back on the horse and ride it to the end.

Good luck sweetie!

Onlyanurse

Princess Nurse
    Princess Nurse
    Participant

Awe, I feel really bad for you. I know you don’t want pity, but many of us here do feel for you because we have been through this.

My suggestions to you on what you should do really depend on knowing what your financial situation is.

If you are okay financially without working then yes, I would wait a year and then apply again.

But if you are strapped for money then I would take the LPN route and then take a bridge program. This way you can work as a nurse while getting the rest of your education.

Best of luck to you hon!

Smart Fox
    Smart Fox
    Participant

I think your number one priority is taking care of yourself. You need to see someone about your anxiety. You may even need to see a counselor.  There may be something deep rooted that you need to deal with.

I think a year off would be good for you. You can use the time to take a step back from this situation that is so fresh in your mind right now and look at things from a more sensical view in a few weeks.

Nursing isn’t the be all and end all of career choices. You have to get your anxiety under control to take these tests and ace them.

I used to have test anxiety and I learned that I had to study harder than most people because of that. I literally knew everything like the back of my hand when I went in to take a test. That way, even if I was nervous, I had studied the material so well that I passed.

The fact that you’re doing well in your clinical rotations makes me think you should stick with nursing and just take a breather for a while to do some soul searching and getting better.

Nurse Wiz
    Nurse Wiz
    Participant

If you feel that nursing is in your blood and you’re determined to get a nursing degree then don’t give up. You do need to evaluate your study practices before you go back to college. Are you comprehending the material? Are you just memorizing it?  If you aren’t fully understanding what you’re reading then maybe that’s the problem. f you really want to be a

In my first semester of nursing school, my instructor told us that rule number one was to read for understanding. If you don’t understand something DO NOT just carry on reading. With nursing, the material can be quite complex and it builds on itself. In other words, if you can grasp one thing then going on to the next will only confuse you more. f you really want to be a

Get a study buddy and have that person drill you and you can return the favor for them. This helped me tremendously. f you really want to be a

Write things in your own words: I used to do fthis when I was having trouble learning something. When you write it in your own words and study it that way, it can be very helpful.  you really want to be a nurse, than DONT give up. However you do need to address the issue of why you were not successful. You mention questions as being a contributing factor. Were you doing practice questions? Were you thoroughly understanding the material, instead of just memorizing the information? There is no point in reapplying if you dont address the problem, otherwise you are just going to get the same result.

Bob Hebert

I wouldn’t worry about failing if I were you. Failures are the stepping stones to success. On the other hand, Nursing is not for everyone. You have to decide if it’s for you or not. If it is; do it. I’m sorry I didn’t put this in the forum. I do not like to give my email to anyone because so many people will give it away or sell it. If you’re interested, I have written an eBook several years ago, well it’s more of a pamphlet/brochure sort of thing. I think it’s 12 pages, maybe 14, I forget. Anyway the title is, “How I Changed My Grades From C’s, D’s, and F’s to A’s and B’s”. It’s mostly about how to study and still have a life, how to take a test, etc. You don’t just go take a test. There’s a way to take a test. I’d be happy to give it to you if you think it would help. Best of luck on your decision and in your future. Have an awesome life.

Only a Nurse

Hi Bob Hebert Thanks for responding to this forum post. When you respond on Facebook to the forum questions your answers are automatically added to the comments on the website. So the author of this question has no way to respond to your kind offer. I am sure she would appreciate it. If you could please go to the website and using the link on this post and post another reply adding the ebook as an attachment, that would be awesome. Not just for this forum member, but for other who may be reading it. Thanks so much! If you want direct responses to your replies in the future, then it’s best to register as a member of the site and reply through there.. -Regards

Simon
    Participant

Oh, that’s sad that you got failed of course. But that doesn’t make any big difference because some people take things slow. Only the key to success is consistency, keep participating in forums and communities to communicate with expert and experienced people in our profession. More don’t stop attempting self-test. Top of that just chill B-)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.