I want to be a NICU nurse but I don't know if I can handle this?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Blue Mania Blue Mania 6 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Blondie Nurse
    Blondie Nurse
    Participant

I work in an ICU unit for adult patients right now. I love it there, but I have always wanted to work with babies and I am really ready for something different. I

I think that I would do great at transitioning from the ICU to the NICU, but the only thing I am really worried about are my emotions. I have a tough enough time dealing with my emotions when someone dies in the ICU and that happens all the time there

I am just wondering how ¬†NICU nurses deal with losing little tiny babies that have never even been given a chance at life. I really don’t know if I can cope with this element of NICU nursing. I’m currently working on an ortho floor at just over 1 year into nursing and am ready for a change. I love my ortho patients but we’re just too short-staffed for me to properly care for them, and my manager is never going to grow a backbone and fight to change that. I’m burned out.

I would love to hear from NICU nurses who do this every day and hear how they deal with it and if there are any tips they can share that would be great. I’m currently working on an ortho floor at just over 1 year into nursing and am ready for a change. I love my ortho patients but we’re just too short-staffed for me to properly care for them, and my manager is never going to grow a backbone and fight to change that. I’m burned out.

Thanks in advance.

The cry baby nurse! LOL

Blue Mania
    Blue Mania
    Participant

You have to realize that most of the kids that you care for do fine. More kids make it than don’t. Initially, it’s difficult, but you do get used to it and you learn to deal with your emotions. I remember when I first began working in NICU. I was constantly upset and crying all the way home. I would always beat myself up wondering what I could have done differently. But I guess that’s just the way it is at first. You do get used to it and I wouldn’t let it stop you from pursuing your career

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.