Common medications used in neuro

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Just Wanna Sleep Just Wanna Sleep 8 months ago.

• Author
    Fit Nurse
    Fit Nurse
    Participant

I’ve just been hired to the neuro unit and I’m wondering what kind of medications are frequently used in neuro that I should familiarize myself with.

I’m trying to learn as much as I can about neuro before I transfer there in a couple of weeks from the ED.

What advice can you seasoned neuro nurses give me about working in this unit. I’m very excited about it. I’ve always wanted to work in neuro.

Michellie Jones
    Participant

Mannitol for sure, as well as Nimodipine, are both important drugs to know in neuro.

Nimodpine is used to increase blood flow to the brain. It’s a medication that is given orally or through an NG tube, but never pushed IV.

It’s very dangerous to push it and it can cause cardiac arrest if pushed IV.

Mannitol is basically salt and remember that water always follows salt so when given to a patient who has, for example, had a cerebral hemorrhage it’s important to keep the swelling in the brain down, so that is why we use mannitol. it helps to pull the fluid away from the brain when there is damage.  It helps increase blood flow to injured brain tissue.

Care should also be taken with Hypertensive drugs. Brain bleeds are often caused by HTN but it’s important to still keep blood circulating and perfusing in the brain, so you still want there to be some decent pressure there. Overuse of hypertensives can be problematic because of this.

Krista
    Krista
    Participant

I would definitely know the protocol for TPA. Know the criteria for administration and when you should stop giving it. It’s something that is given often for stroke patients

Labetolol,Cardene, Metoprolol and Hydralazine are given to reduce BP

To increase BP the following are often ordered:
    Epinephrine
    Vasopressin
    Dopamine

Neo-synephrine (Phenyephrine)is often used in the ICU to increase BP
    Levophed (Norepinephrine)
    Epinephrine
    Vasopressin
    Dopamine

Little Diddy
    Little Diddy
    Participant

Decadron is often used for tumors and masses

Keppra

Sinemet for Parkinson’s,

NimodipineNuvigil is useful for patients who have had a CVA and are malaised and lethargic.  –
    Fosphenytoin
    For edematous brain tissue we often give 3% sodium chloride solution- monitoring sodium levels is important when using this.
    Mannitol, continue to monitor Serum Osmolality with this medication
    Diprivan – It depends on your state as to whether you can give this drug as an RN. Check with yours to see. In some states only anestheiologists and CRNAs gave give it

Nurse Wiz
    Nurse Wiz
    Participant

Here’s a list of the ones we use in our neuro ICU department:
    Mannitol
    Decadron
    Keppra
    3%  Sodium
    Potassium

Hydralazine

Labetalol

Diprivan

Metoprolol
    Levophed
    Cardene

Labetalol
    Primacor
    Morphine

Just Wanna Sleep
    Just Wanna Sleep
    Participant

I would add a few more that we commonly use:

Midazolam

Ketamine

rocuronium
    antiepileptics
    vasopressin
    epinephrine
    sodium bicarb
    fentanyl
    phenobarb

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.