Can Nurses Mix Medications in One Syringe?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Oh Snap Oh Snap 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Dont be Tachy
    Dont be Tachy
    Participant
    Hello,
    I have a couple of questions regarding the practice of administrating multiple drugs in the same syringe via IM.
    Can RNs do this? I am wondering because we see lots of IM Benadryl, Haldol and Ativan together and I have seen nurses mixing this. I don’t want to mix it because I am afraid I will have repercussions if this is not proper practice.
    I have yet to have this order myelf, but I want to know for future reference.

I would think it would be pretty cruel to administer those separately.

+

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #81025 Reply
    Oh Snap
    Oh Snap

For questions like this, I would contact your charge nurse or director of nursing.  You need to know your protocol at your facility.

As far as nursing practice you can mix and if you are confused on how to do this or don’t feel safe doing it I have always found the pharmacy willing and able to help out.  I have never heard of giving three IM shots in a row to a patient…ever.

Remember it is not only important to check and see if this is within nursing practice, but it is also important to check with your facility’s protocol. Good luck.

Reply To: Can Nurses Mix Medications in One Syringe?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: