Are days better than nights on Med-Surg?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by College Idiot College Idiot 7 months ago.

• Author
    Mel
    Mel
    Participant

I have worked in med/surg now for four years and I have always worked nights ever since I became a nurse.

I worked at a much busier hospital for 3 years before I came to work where I am now. The last hospital was a level I trauma center and there were very critical patients there that really kept me hopping. I saw more than I really cared to as far as patients bleeding out and dying in front of me.

I never got breaks and this was on nights, so I can’t imagine what it would have been like on day shift.

Fast forward again to the hospital where I work now. It’s so slow. It’s a small hospital and I am really not sure what’s going on with me, but I feel as though I have lost my zest for nursing.

I’m not one that likes a lot of drama and craziness, so I don’t think I’m bored because things aren’t crazy enough, but I wonder if I would be better of on days. I have enough seniority to get a daytime position, but I don’t know if that is what’s causing the problem because I have never worked days.

For those of you who know what it’s like to work both days and nights, is it a lot more busy and rewarding on days compared to nights?

I could also be feeling this way because I don’t really connect with the cliquey nurses on this shift. They pretty much ignore me, because they have all been there much longer than me. It makes it lonely and I feel like I’m losing a lot of my skills too.
    What do you all think?

Are days more interesting than nights on med/surg

Holy Moley
    Holy Moley
    Participant

It depends on who you ask I think. I love nights because there is less politics and all the trouble-making loud people seem to work days.

It doesn’t sound as much  like you’re tired of nights as it does that you are going through nursing burnout, which is becoming more and more common among nursing.  Sounds like you need a vacation

Austin
    Austin
    Participant

I’ve worked both and prefer days because it is busier and I can’t stand to be idle. I would end up falling asleep. I just can’t stay awake in the middle of the night when I’m tired and there is nothing going on. But everyone is different.

If you can’t handle a lot of drama then days probably aren’t for you. If you feel like you’re losing your skills then you should go to days if you want to maintain them and can handle the crazy people on days.

Dana
    Dana
    Participant

I wouldn’t go to days if my life depended on it lol.

People are nuts on days and the family members are there, as well as the directors and managers. There are also a lot of brown nosers on days. It’s just too nuts for me. I did six months of days when I first started nursing and I was ready to choke some people…ugh, no way! Stay on nights. Get some caffeine in you and clean and straighten if you’re bored!

College Idiot
    College Idiot
    Participant

I switched to nights when I started back to school again, after working as a nurse on med-surg for 6 years. It’s a lot different. We were still busy at times, but nothing like day shift and I wouldn’t go back to days now. The only thing I hate about nights is having problems getting to sleep in the moring

Eb Estipona

It depends on the number of patients for surgeries on that day, for their pre-op preparations or post-op monitoring and for the patients who are on ventilators.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.