I am NOT a tech!!!!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer Angel 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Tiffany J
    Tiffany J
    Participant

Hello all,

I am really fed up with something that continues to happen as I work as a CRNI. I travel regionally doing PICC lines on patients. Many are in nursing homes, some are in hospitals and rehab facilities. Many of the nurses in nursing homes are LPN’s.

I constantly hear them calling me a tech. They’ll tell another nurse, “the tech is here.”  I am NOT a tech.. I am and RN with multiple certifications; CRNI and VABC. I am also highly skilled at doing PICC lines on patients with a 99 percent accuracy.

Tonight I had an LPN tell another LPN that the “tech is here.”  Ugh, here we go again. Except for this time I had enough. I told her that I was NOT a tech, that “I am a registered nurse with certifications.” She replied, “whatever.” I said, “no, not whatever. You would not want me referring to you as a tech since you’re an LPN” She rolled her eyes at me and walked off.

I am just tired of that kind of disrespect. Not that there is anything wrong with being a tech, but I am not a tech and it’s really annoying. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Gail Saunders, RN
    Participant

I understand your frustration, but you probably should take it too personally. They have no clue. Just politely say, “I’m not a tech, I’m a nurse,” then leave it. I wouldn’t worry about it. They don’t know any better. they don’t have any idea what you do and probably think techs do PICC procedures

Sarcasm Rocks
    Sarcasm Rocks
    Participant

Why would any nurse think a tech could put a PICC line in.  I don’t think that’s why this is happening.I think they are saying that on purpose. Nurses who work in facilities are often jealous of those who commute and don’t do actual bedside nursing. So they are nasty and rude. I saw this type of behavior when I worked in medical devices. I would travel nationally, all over the US and the nurses were jealous because I was allowed to wear regular clothes and my job seemed so glamorous to them.

I think what you said is right and you should always set them straight. I bet she wouldn’t like it if you called her a freaking nurses’ aide….rude!  B-)

Jennifer Angel
    Participant

Some folks are just plain stupid.  Just ignore them. It would make me mad though!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.