Confused Patients & Consent-What Are You Supposed to Do?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Cookie Monster Cookie Monster 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author
    All Heart
    All Heart
    Participant

Confused patients and consentHi guys,

I’m a PICC nurse and I’m interested to know if anyone has a an answer to this question. I don’t really know if this varies by state, but I need to know when you are supposed to stop a procedure when a patient who initially gives consent changes their mind. At what point are you supposed to stop.

I’ve read some things that say you must stop the procedure regardless of whether the patient is confused or not. I know they can withdraw consent at any time. But my problem is that most of the patients I do PICC lines on are in the nursing home and are confused. If I stop the procedure when a confused patient decides to complain and tells me to stop then I would never get any PICC lines done.

Many of them do have a POA, but when they don’t this is always a problem. How do others handle this issue?  It’s getting pretty frustrating.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tasha
    Tasha
    Participant

This is always a problem for me to and it is extremely frustrating. They constantly yell, “stop, stop”  But if they don’t have a POA and they’re confused I continue, because they are in need of the PICC and could die without the PICC.  So I think you will be okay if you continue

Rebekka889
    Rebekka889
    Participant

I’m not sure but I always continue, because if I don’t I would be stopping all the procedures I do, leaving and then being called back to do it again. Then they decide to tell me to stop again. This is a grey area unfortunately. Maybe you should call the board in your state and ask them

Cookie Monster
    Cookie Monster
    Participant

I don’t think this is a board of nursing issue. It’s a legal issue and I’m not sure what the answer is. As far as I know regardless of when a patient withdraws consent, or whether they are confused or not, you have to stop.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.