Contemplating walking folks!- Should I?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Mel Mel 5 months ago.

• Author
    Dana
    Dana
    Participant

OKay, so I’m hoping I can get some good advice here because I’m growing increasingly more frustrated with what is going on at my job. Some Background: I work at

I work for LTC and have been doing the same thing for 15 years now. I’m not trying to pat myself on the back but I am highly skilled and always give more than 110%. I pride myself on really earning my money and being a good patient advocate. I have been a model employee and have called in sick one time in 15 years.

But I am going on vacation in a couple of weeks and have made this very clear since the beginning of January when we were required to put in our vacation requests. I have a lot of seniority too.

I’m going on a cruise and have paid for all of it already, but now I am being told that I can’t be off for the whole week because another couple of nurses quit and I need to cover the shift.

They have called me and asked me to go in many times and I’ve agreed to do that, dropping everything I was doing to be a good nurse to the residents, whom I love.

I went in last night and the DON told me that she needed to talk to me about not charting a medication. She gave me a write up for not charting that I gave a Tylenol. I am livid.

I’m working 16 hour days and always have a smile on my face. I know I’m a darn good nurse and I work my butt off and have for 15 years.

But I’m about ready to just throw in the towel here and move on because I don’t feel it is fair to expect a nurse that is working 10 hours a week to do everything perfectly. I gave the Tylenol and she knows that because there was one missing out of a new pack.

I am really ready to just walk away from this job. I can’t get any time off, bend over backward for them and all for what?

What should I do?

Thinking about quitting, nurseboards.com

Louisville Sllugger
    Louisville Sllugger
    Participant

Forgetting or neglecting to chart a medication after you administer it is a very serious thing and I’m not trying to scare you but it could even result in you being reported to the board of nursing in your state. It really is no joke.

It may have just been Tylenol this time, but it could be something much more serious the next time. If you forget to chart giving morphine, then someone else comes in and gives it then you could kill someone.

You should think about taking some time off. Maybe take advantage of the medical leave act and get some rest and look for something that you can handle better.

Angela Browning RN
    Angela Browning RN
    Participant

You definitely need to take some time off. You’re obviously not on your game and could seriously hurt someone. Look for another job that doesn’t take advantage of you. You don’t deserve to be treated this way, but at the same time you can’t risk losing your license for doing something stupid because you’re tired.

We are all human and yes, we make mistakes. But when you are making mistakes like this it could cost you your license so it’s time to take a step back and evaluate your next move. If I were you it would be getting and different job that hand adequate help and didn’t take advantage of me.

Mel
    Mel
    Participant

You can’t be making mistakes this way when you’re a nurse. it could indeed cost someone their life and is very scary. You need to re-evaluate your choice to become a nurse, if you are making errors like this just because you’re tired…not good

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.