Why Did You Become A Nurse?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Basic Bet Basic Bet 1 year ago.

• Author
    Brown Eyed Girl
    Brown Eyed Girl
    Participant

Hello guys,

I want to ask a question about why others decided to become nurses. I thought I wanted to be a doctor and I am not a nurse yet, but I cannot see myself going through ten years of school and owing hundreds of thousands of dollars in tuition fees.  And I also think that the problems with Obama Care are becoming more and more apparent and many doctors are not going to be making the same salary as they once were.

I think I would enjoy nursing but it’s hard to tell unless you’ve actually done it ,which is why I am here asking you guys. How do you like nursing and why did you choose it?

I enjoy caring for my family, especially when they’re sick, but I don’t know if caring for strangers would be the same? Please help?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Krista
    Krista
    Participant

For me it was a no-brainer because my Mom is a nurse so I kind of knew what it would be like to be a nurse before I actually became one myself.

I guess it is tough to choose a profession because regardless of what you choose to do, you are not completely sure if you’ll like it till you are working in that field and you can’t do that without a degree. But you could always volunteer to work in a hospital to at least get a feel for this line of work before you go head first into it.

Good luck!

Rebekka889
    Rebekka889
    Participant

I chose nursing because it was a way to make great money and not have to go to school as long as a doctor. But nursing isn’t for everyone and I don’t think you should choose it for the money because those that do, don’t last in nursing very long.

Yogini Nurse
    Yogini Nurse
    Participant

Well, they say do something you love and you’ll never work a day in your life. I think this is pretty true. If you think you will enjoy working with and caring for the sick then you probably will and the good thing about nursing is that it’s a wide open field. If you don’t like the particular specialty you’re in then you can always do some other specialty.

Keep trying till you find out what it is that makes you happy and stay there.

Best of luck!

Time4You
    Time4You
    Participant

I can’t really imagine doing anything else. I wouldn’t know what else to choose. I took care of a sick aunt before she died and at that point I knew that I wanted to be a nurse.  I used to play nurse a lot when I was a kid and all my dolls had bandages LOL

Just something I knew I wanted to do I gues and I think I am a pretty good nurse even if I do say so myself haha

Psycho Psychic
    Psycho Psychic
    Participant

I am concerned about the comment you made regarding being a doctor.  I don’t think there is anything to be ashamed of going into a certain profession for the money provided you are at least a little bit interested in it.
    Have you taken any aptitude tests? I encourage you to check into other career choices before you settle on one, but I would never be ashamed of entering into this or any other profession because of the money. After all, it’s what we all get up every morning and do, (well most of us)

People choose nursing for all types of different reasons and I almost got out of nursing all together before I tried psych nursing and I haven’t looked back since.

Nutty Professor
    Nutty Professor
    Participant

I went to community college without a major for  2 years  because I couldn’t figure out what I wanted to do.  I decided to be a CNA first and once I started getting into nursing I loved it.

Everyone is different, but for me it was the natural choice. After I got my BSN I went on and got my masters. I have a daughter who is going to school to be an ultrasound tech, but I’m actually trying to talk her out of it because I want her to be able to change her mind and still have a job.

If she’s an ultrasound tech and she decides she hates it then there is nowhere for her to go. If she’s a med-surg nurse and hates it she can do something else in nursing without having to switch to a different career and go back to college for years.

Paul
    Paul
    Participant

I agree, with psycho psychic I don’t think there is anything wrong with going into a profession for the money. It’s the only reason I did. I don’t make the same money as a doctor but I do pretty good and am glad I chose nursing.

Everyone has their own reasons for choosing nursing, but at the end of the day, it pays my bills. I find what I do interesting, but there are other things that I could have chosen that I would have found more interesting, they just didn’t pay enough money!

Basic Bet
    Basic Bet
    Participant

I chose it for the money initially and grew to love it so much. Such a wonderful career choice. You can’t go wrong being a nurse and people will always be sick unfortunately so there’s plenty of job security

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.