Why are new nurses so rude?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Renal Nurse Renal Nurse 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Author

Daisy, RN
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I want to ask this question, even though it may upset a few of you. But I’ve been a nurse for over 20 years and I work in a very busy ICU. We have had an influx of nursing students lately and I’m wondering what is going on with them. I know nursing school is stressful, but to me that’s all the more reason to be humble.

The new generation of nurses seem to have bad attitudes. ALmost a “better than thou” type attitude and they can be downright rude. Seasoned nurses know the textbook way of doing things, but we also know that in reality there are other ways of doing things that offer better outcomes for the patient  AND the nurse. This is learned by making mistakes over the years and trying “textbook methods” that don’t work.

I had a nursing student the other day that I was precepting and she corrected me rudely several times about the way I do things. Who do they think they are? I couldn’t believe it. I am a star performer where I work and couldn’t believe she was treating me like I was the one in nursing school. “well, the textbook say this and the textbook says that.” was all I heard for 12 hours straight. I wanted to choke her.

As well as that, she just had a bad attitude. Like changing beds and doing bed baths was beneath her. She isn’t the only one that I have had a problem with, and I’ve heard other nurses in my hospital complaining about them.

I don’t want to get them in trouble by reporting them to their clinical instructor, but I am just so frustrated. Has anyone else experienced this? and if so, how do you handle this?

why are new nurses so rude?

Agency Owned RN
    Agency Owned RN
    Participant

I think that this is just a different generation and new nurses have been raised as spoilt little brats, unfortunately. Times have changed These nurses think they are above nurses’ aides and that will just come back to bite them in the butt, because nurses’ aides and your eyes and ears and if you treat them right they’ll have your back.

Nurses are never too good to bath or change a patient. I’ve dealt with countless code brown’s in my career and I’m sure you have too. I think it is also a problem with the nursing schools today.

Renal Nurse
    Renal Nurse
    Participant

I don’t think it’s right to say that ALL of them are rude. But I understand there are some that have bad attitudes and I think this is happening more often. I blame the colleges. They baby them now and make them believe they are something they’re not. The want to make them think that they are better than everyone else so they can sell the nursing program.

Nursing has become something that many new nurses think is elite. You are above the rest if you’re a nurse. They glorify nursing these days. I think that’s the problem.

Don’t worry they’ll learn the hard way if they think they’re above changing patients and cleaning them. If a nursing student that I was precepting was rude to me, I would report her to her instructor in a heartbeat.

They need to learn they can’t act that way. It’s not acceptable. I would also insist that they understand there are several ways of getting a job done and the textbook way may not be the quickest or easiest way, nor may it yeild the best results.  There’s more than one way to skin a cat people

Simone Casey

I think its a direct reflection of societal changes….sadly, the youth of today are selfish and entitled. Its not just nurses 🙁

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.