What…No Stethoscopes Anymore?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Cassey Mc Farlan 3 months ago.

• Author
    Lyndsay Toomey
    Lyndsay Toomey
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’m really excited because I bought a new stethoscope and I must add I’m a very new nurse. I work on a busy med-surg floor and I’ve been told three times now that I don’t need my stethoscope. What are other nurses doing for their assessments? What happened to head-to-toe assessments including breath sounds and bowel sounds?

This is very strange to me. I don’t see how you can get away with not using a stethoscope and why would you not want to do a thorough assessment? Is this just happening at this hospital or are their other hospitals that this same thing is occurring and no one seems to care? I’m completely baffled.

What...no stethoscopes anymore?

Health Nut Nurse
    Health Nut Nurse
    Participant

Nurses are notorious for changing the rules and falling into bad habits with patient care because they see their coworkers doing it and it seems much quicker.

Please don’t fall prey to this behavior. You’re doing the right thing and if anyone else tells you that you don’t need your stethoscope just tell them that you feel more comfortable using it and keep it around your neck if you want.

There is so much to do that it becomes overwhelming at times, especially when you’re understaffed. You feel like you need to move quicker and it’s so tempting to just do it the easy way. Don’t lower your standards for anyone.

Believe me they won’t have your back when you are being sued because you didn’t listen to breath sounds with your stethoscope. If they want to do assessments without a stethoscope that’s on them. But you need to keep doing it the right way. Never take short cuts, they will come back to bite you in the butt.

These nurses will finally understand, but it, unfortunately, takes a death or a lawsuit to change them. Many are so set in their ways of doing it the wrong way that they have no clue to even do it the right way anymore.

How will you know that a patients breath sounds are absent or the patient has paralytic ileus post surgery? Maybe they’re on a bunch of pain meds and their respirations have slowed to a dangerous rate?

Not Yo Mama
    Not Yo Mama
    Participant

Wow, I can’t even begin to believe this.  You can’t do an assessment on a patient if you don’t have a stethoscope.

Never take another nurses word for assessments. You must do your own. I’ve never heard of this. This is very scary. You should probably address this with higher management. This is so dangerous. Nurses don’t realize how easily they can lose their license over stuff like this.

Texas Hold Em
    Texas Hold Em
    Participant

Man, this is a slippery slope. No, I’ve not heard of anything like this before. What kind of nurses are you working with? This is not good.

Use your stethoscope religiously, even if you have to make Ms. Needy down the hall wait for her seventh cup of coffee, your assessments come first.

Cassey Mc Farlan
    Participant

This happens all the time. MDs and NPs are guilty of this too. They never touch the patient but they chart a full head to toe assessment…crazy.

You are doing it the right way, don’t ever change that. Forget about telling them anything because they are responsible for their own actions and you’re responsible for yours. Sounds like you’re doing a great job

Jude Santana

Just another step in losing connection with the person/patient and skipping an important step in health care, making room for higher pt. ratios and less need for staff.

Jude Santana

Just another step in losing connection with the person/patient and skipping an important step in health care, making room for higher pt. ratios and less need for staff.

Jude Santana

Jude Santana

Jude Santana

Jude Santana

Jude Santana

Jude Santana

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.