Should Nurses be Smoking in the Front of the Facility

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Rebekka889 Rebekka889 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Mel
    Mel
    Participant

Okay,

So I don’t smoke and never have, but I remember the days when nurses who smoked would pop out for a cigarette and the facility provided them a quiet out of the way place, where patients are not able to see their trusty nurse lighting up a smoke.

Now the hospitals are mostly smoke-free, unlike in the early 90s when you could smoke in the waiting rooms in the hospitals.

The problem I have is that so many nurses are forced to go out away from the building and off the property to smoke. On my way home today there were 10 people in scrubs standing smoking in the front of the hospital, but off the property. I’m fed up with it.

Is this just the hospital where I work or are all hospitals as tacky as this?  Also, what do you think the solution is?

People trust nurses and standing out front smoking reflects negatively on other nurses and the facility.  :unsure:

Also, I am fed up with covering for other nurses just because they smoke and need more breaks to engage in their filthy habit. I am the only one that thinks that way? I believe that all facilities should change their hiring policy to deny employment to any nurse that smoke. :unsure:

They com back in stinking of cigarettes and it’s so unprofessional.   :unsure:

I Heart Nurses

Greatinfo thanks really love ER nursing

Pauly
    Pauly
    Participant

I think it should be banned both inside the facility and outside the facility. It looks nasty and is nasty. I can’t believe that people are stupid enough to do it, especially if you’re a healthcare working you ought to know better and it’s not exactly the poster child for hospitals.

Princess Nurse
    Princess Nurse
    Participant

I think nurses should have a place to smoke like the old days and it shouldn’t be right in the front of the hospital. It does look bad.   :yahoo:

Rebekka889
    Rebekka889
    Participant

I smoke and I’m a nurse and of course I would like to quit, but right now I’m too stressed out to quit. But I don’t take any more breaks that those who don’t smoke. My manager wouldn’t put up with this and it’s disrespectful to my coworkers.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.