I'm ready to throw in the towel but I don't know what to do? Help please

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Michelle 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author
    Smart Fox
    Smart Fox
    Participant

Hi all,

Happy New Year. I’m 48 years old and have been a nurse for 20 years. There was a time when I loved nursing. I’ve worked in med-surg, ED and ICU and all were challenging, but I had a love for my patients and felt I was making a difference.

Lately though, I’m feeling very cynical about nursing and nursing management and I feel like I want to throw in the towel. I don’t really understand why I feel so strongly. I do know that things aren’t the way they used to be in nursing anymore. Nurses can’t be nurses. They have to answer to everyone and there is so much cover your butt paperwork that I feel like I’m drowning at time.

Nurses are overworked and although I can’t really say I am underpaid, I am certainly not rich by any stretch of the imagination.

I had planned on working as a nurse till retirement, but now it’s getting to the point that I loathe going in to work, dealing with the stress of other nurses, fear of mistakes and losing my license and hateful management.

I don’t know if it’s just the age that I am, but I want out. I’m wondering what else a person who has a nursing background can to besides nursing. I have no idea where to start. I know I want out and that’s as far as I’ve gotten in my mind so far. But the thought of starting a new career at my age scares the living daylights out of me.

What else is there after nursing? Am I making a mistake? Thoughts?

Thank you.

I'm ready to throw in the towel , but I don't know what to do? Help please

Tina Sue
    Tina Sue
    Participant

Hi,

I’m so sorry you feel this way. Nursing is a tough job and I wouldn’t make any rash decisions. I don’t know how long you’ve been feeling this way, but maybe it’s time to take a break from nursing for a little while. Why don’t you take advantage of  the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Take some time off and you can always go back to your same employer without fear of losing your job. Maybe with a little time away from nursing you might change your mind and stick with it. Let us know what you end up deciding to do

Lisa Nolan
    Lisa Nolan
    Participant

I agree that you shouldn’t make any quick decisions about something so serious. But, if you still decide you want out of nursing then there are several options for you. If you just want out of bedside nursing then I would gear towards case management or working for a pharmaceutical company. The pay is really good when you work for medical device companies and they hire a lot of nurses.

They usually hire clinical consultants and you may end up in sales if they like you a lot. I know a lot of nurses who work for medical device companies and love it. There are downsides to everything though. Most of these companies hire you as an independent contractor and there are no benefits.

The upside is that they pay for all your mileage, travel, hotels and food. You can live for free basically.

Olivia
    Olivia
    Participant

I think we all feel like this sometimes. If the feeling lasts though, then maybe it’s something that is a lot more serious. It’s difficult to change careers in middle age, but certainly not impossible. People do it all the time.

I’ve always wanted to go into real estate, and maybe one day I will. I agree that the nursing life ain’t what it used to be. So much has changed and we can’t take care of patients properly because we have so much busy work to do.

But, I wonder if other careers are just as challenging at the end of the day. I’d be afraid to switch careers and then find something I really hated way worse than nursing. Kinda like the grass is always greener.

Michelle
    Participant

I understand your feelings. I have been an RN since 1989. I have been fired from more than 1 job for bs reasons, none of it due to patient care/ safety issues. I agree with FMLA. Take some time for yourself, look at other positions within nursing. Homecare was most enjoyable to me. It wasnt ez, took 2 years for me to get comfortable. A good team of coworkers is the most important thing to me. Take care of yourself and pray for guidance. Best wishes on your journey. If you would like to start a support group for nurses, I would be more than willing to join you.

Jafar S. Mansour

Old is gold😃

Jafar S. Mansour

Old is gold😃

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.