If you had it to do over again would you choose nursing?

This topic contains 29 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Sherese Galtrey 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Canadian King
    Canadian King
    Participant

I like nursing, but sometimes it gets pretty crazy and I wonder if I made the right decision to become a nurse so many years ago.  If you had it to do over again would you choose nursing? I know there’s stress in all jobs, but I can’t help but think that the stress of an accountant, for example, can’t possibly be the same as that of a nurse, especially nurses who work in critical care areas and have all the weight of patient’s lives on their minds all the time.

What must it be like to go home at the end of a busy day and not take your job with you. Wondering if all the decisions you made throughout the day resulted in the most positive outcome possible for your patients. Waking in the middle of the night and wondering if you did everything you could for the patient who just didn’t make it.

Maybe some nurses manage the art of putting their work day to bed when they leave their work each day. Unfortunately, I’m not one of those nurses. I beat myself over the head for days when I lose a patient. I can’t help but thing that a physical therapist or a sonographer doesn’t leave work with the same type of stress as a nurse does.

What do you think? If you had to do it all over again would you choose nursing? I would!

If you had to do it over again would you choose nursing?

Mommy Dearest
    Participant

I don’t think we can really say if we have more stress than other people who are in different fields because we have never walked in their shoes so we don’t really know. Granted, they may not have the same type of worries as nurses do, but their worries are no less important than ours.  They may have serious deadlines that if they don’t meet could cost them their jobs and livelihoods.

Nurses have a bad habit of complaining a lot about the work we do. Yes, we have a lot of stress, but our work is no more important than anyone else’s and we need to understand that.  So many young nurses think they are just wonderful people and should be praised constantly because we chose nursing.

Nurses are not that special. To me it’s just a job and nurses need to stop patting themselves on the back for earning a living. It gets old.

VA RN
    VA RN
    Participant

No, I don’t think I would choose nursing if I had to do it again. Especially in today’s world. There’s no respect from doctors, patients, coworkers or administration. It didn’t used to be that way, but now there’s more and more red tape and paperwork and less time to actually take care of patients. I feel like I spend most of my day making sure that the facility doesn’t get sued and following their stupid protocols that have been thought up by people who have never spend one day in their lives at a patient’s bedside.

It’s sad. I should have chosen psychology or gotten a social worker degree. Nursing certainly isn’t what it used to be.

Rebekka889
    Rebekka889
    Participant

If there weren’t sp many control freaks in nursing I don’t think it would be so bad. Every nurse thinks they’re better than the other nurses and most are a bunch of brown nosers who are never happy with anything. I wish nurses could work better together. I think if it wasn’t so female dominated it would be better. Female nurses don’t know how to get along with each other. They’re too busy stabbing each other in the back.  There’s no way in hell I would choose nursing if I had to do it over again…no thanks!

Punchy
    Punchy
    Participant

Yes, I would choose nursing again if I had to choose over. I love being a nurse and enjoy the work. There’s never a dull moment that’s for sure, but I do think it is very stressful at times.

Sometimes, I think that the management could be better where I work, but if I don’t like it I can always leave and the great thing about nursing is that there are so many other options to choose from. I actually have a friend that is a Sonographer and she hates it. The problem is that there’s nothing else she can do. She can’t switch to a different specialty like we can as nurses. She has to go back to school, which she’s actually considering because she just doesn’t like what she’s currently doing.

Sara Hillerup Lund

No!

Jamie Elise

No

El Brewster

No

Emily Ashworth-Preece

No

Eb Estipona

Yes.

Sonie Lea

Yes and no. I truly love what I do but the politics of a hospital and the other bs required is draining my soul. But I feel struck in nursing because I can’t just leave and make the same money.

Linda Kay Walczak

Probably not

Wanda Petito

Sometimes I would rather be teaching English!

Sharyn Van Der Zwaag

100% agree with you

Peggy Vellanoweth

If nurses weren’t injured so badly!!

Kathy Good

Never.

Sara Elaine

No.

Cody Cheyenne Scott

No.

Dotti Mynderse

In a heartbeat! I am retired now, but miss nursing. I was fortunate to choose a speciality that I loved. My nights in the DR were hectic and long, but I know I made a difference.

Peggy Yates Cline

NO, unless I could actually do some nursing and less paperwork, but we all know that won’t happen, so , NO

Angela McGraw

Probably not.

Rosalie Lane

Symphony?

Ivanka Ivanovic Cajic

I have always been passionate about nursing, but this year I hurt my back and became ” temporarily disabled”( probably temporarily), lost my full-time job, my PRN job, my benefits, health insurance… Had surgery, still in a lot of pain, not driving, hardly walking.I saved patient’s life( he was choking), but I was terminated from my position at that hospital.So the answer is Noooooooo…

Edith Turner

not sure

Rose Jolley Haslam

No

Michelle Wipperman

Nope.

Hleziphe Lucia Mabasa

Hell no

Phumla Maguga Junior

Flatly & surely nope

Sherese Galtrey

No

Sherese Galtrey

No

Judy Collins

In a word….No.

Kudzai Paradza

no.. I’m passionate about helping people but no one respects a nurse.
    Always treated like trash by patients and employer.
    I always tell my friends and siblings it’s not worth it; no matter how much you love people.

Le Conrick

Probably no from me too…in my day..patients hit the floor..we picked them up…no lifting teams/machines..no lift policy..etc etc…now ..my back..legs..feet..all stuffed with bad arthritis…pain can be very bad…all due to nursing!!

Jessica Widga

I am going through the same situation, back injury/surgery/still dying from pain. Were you hurt on the job or during your private time?

Kim Asbury

No

Ivanka Ivanovic Cajic

On the job,doing Heimlich maneuver on the patient who was chocking . How about you?

Amber Restrepo

🤔 sometimes whn I’ve had bad day. Patients can be demanding and suck yhe life out of u

Karen Jenkins

Of course

Karen Falconer

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gerda le Roux

Without any doubt !!!!

Jennifer James-Hawkins

Probably not

Debbie D Lindsey-Roarx

That surprises me Jennifer James-Hawkins.

Debbie D Lindsey-Roarx

Jennifer James-Hawkins

It’s very hard. And under appreciated.

Jennifer James-Hawkins

Stephen Vann

I would have gotten in earlier

Stephen Vann

Jennifer James-Hawkins

Probably not

Jennifer James-Hawkins

Probably not

Jennifer James-Hawkins

Probably not

Stephen Vann

Stephen Vann

Stephen Vann

Jennifer James-Hawkins

Jennifer James-Hawkins

Debbie D Lindsey-Roarx

Debbie D Lindsey-Roarx

Jennifer James-Hawkins

Debbie D Lindsey-Roarx

Jennifer James-Hawkins

Probably not

Jennifer James-Hawkins

Probably not

Stephen Vann

Stephen Vann

Debbie D Lindsey-Roarx

Debbie D Lindsey-Roarx

Jennifer James-Hawkins

Jennifer James-Hawkins

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.