I Hate Nursing

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Jean Lewis 1 year ago.

• Author
    Penny J
    Penny J
    Participant

I don’t want to be yelled at anymore. I’m an RN and I was working on getting my BSN, but I am at the point where I am wondering why I ever became a nurse. I have hated every minute of it.

I hate the people I work with and it’s not just the place I work now. I’ve been a nurse for 15 years and it’s every place I work. Nurses seem to be nasty individuals that will stab you in the back in a heartbeat.

I know there are a lot of people who just love nursing, but I am not one of them. I got my degree because my parents wanted me to become a nurse. My Mother and Grandmother were both nurses. But I just can’t stand it anymore and I am wondering if I am the only one that feels this way.

I despise the hours, the workload the constant bickering. I’m a nervous wreck. I smoke a pack of cigarettes a day and had to do to the doctor and get some Xanax to calm me down after work. I get nauseous even thinking about getting ready to go to work and that’s pretty much all day.

I am not married and have no children and I feel like my life is wasting away in a job that I hate. Is this what life is about for everyone.

The problem is that I don’t know how not to be a nurse. If I quit nursing what can I do? I don’t have any other skills besides nursing. Nursing has become who I am and I can’t seem to shake that. I’m so lost and have no clue what to do. I need to make money somehow, but I just don’t think I can stomach this anymore.

Michelle
    Michelle
    Participant

Oh wow,

It sounds like you’re really unhappy. I know that nursing isn’t for everyone and perhaps you should get out of it. There are plenty of other things you can do that nursing school and being a nurse have taught you.

Nursing is really tough and it can be a hostile environment. But it could just be that you are a person that doesn’t belong in nursing. Having a miserable life is never okay and you should always try to do things that make you happy. That includes doing something that you enjoy.

Have you thought about going back to school?

Texas Hold Em
    Texas Hold Em
    Participant

Have you given any thought to trying another specialty. All specialties don’t involve direct patient care. Maybe you would be better suited to a desk job like those nurses in case management, or even field case management.

Ask yourself exactly what it is that you hate about nursing, because if it is just the people I think you’ll find that there are jerks in every profession and nursing has plenty.

Think about what your dream job would be and make it happen. even if it means going back to school. Life is way too short to be unhappy.

Good luck!

Princess Nurse
    Princess Nurse
    Participant

Oh for Gawd sake get over it. Quit your whining and find something else to do

Melissa Crenshaw
    Melissa Crenshaw
    Participant

I think everyone must search for their own meaning for their life. It’s different for everyone and many people never find what they were truly gifted to do. I think you need to pick yourself up, you’re obviously depressed, and you need to search yourself for what you are looking for in life.

Nursing can be very stressful and for some, it’s too much. You sound like one of those people. Don’t take the victim route, though. Keep your chin up and do some serious soul searching.

Nursing doesn’t define who you are if you don’t want it to . You’re in control here and you create your own destiny. No one needs to be miserable. It’s a choice!

Jean Lewis

Find a career counselor and they will talk to you and administer a battery of tests to find your strong points and interests. I did it years ago, and it helped me tremendously, both personally and professionally. I stayed in nursing, but went from a floor job to the OR and it totally changed my perspective.

Brenda Mailloux

AN EGO SEEKING BOARDERING ON BULLYING!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.