I can't keep doing all this call-Is this normal?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Jane Mitchel Jane Mitchel 3 days, 23 hours ago.

• Author
    Hells Bells
    Hells Bells
    Participant

I can’t believe what I’ve signed up for. All these on-call hours are just too much and I don’t think I can do this anymore. Does your facility require you to take call hours?

We have to take 60 hours of call per month and 24 of them have to be a weekend if you have only been working there for under five years, which count’s me in.

Often I work all evening, all night and then have to do my regular shift on top of that. If they send anyone home early because we are pretty light, it’s usually the ones that worked through the night, but it’s completely exhausting and I am not sure how long I can handle this.

too many on call hours for nurses

I’m really unhappy with this as virtually no one volunteers to take extra call anymore because we are all so wrecked. Are all facilities changing to this? If so, it’s time for me to get out of nursing altoghether.

Hangry Nurse
    Hangry Nurse
    Participant

I work in the OR and the call has always been bad, but most of the time, people who want the OT jump at it. Here lately though, they are overwhelming us with call since we have gotten several new surgeons who seem to have a lot of emergency appys, lap chole’s…etc.

I’m happy to have the work,but then again,I don’t have kids or a husband, so it’s great to stash my money LOL

Health Nut Nurse
    Health Nut Nurse
    Participant

My license means too much to me. I’m paranoid enough about losing my license because a friend of mine lost hers over a med error and I am afraid that if I work too many hours then I will make a mistake that will cost me my career. I work in casemanagement, so I don’t have to deal with call.

I did it for years though. But I don’t know if it was 60 hours ever, That seems like an awful lot.

Golden Child
    Golden Child
    Participant

Every month when the monthly call schedule comes out nurses get into knock-down drag out fights about it. Everyone wants call and there isn’t really that much to go around, even though we are a level I trauma center.

But I agree, 60 hours is a lot, on top of what you are already working. I would be looking for something else.

Jane Mitchel
    Jane Mitchel
    Participant

I have done that much call and more before. It’s really hard when you have a family. I did it cause I liked the money and at the time we were saving for a new house. But I wouldn’t do it forever that’s for sure. I worked nights and then would often have to stay after my shift and do another 8 hours.

My pocket book loved it though. Hehe

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.