Help! Patients family member is drunk!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Meghan Ally Meghan Ally 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Author
    Meghan Ally
    Meghan Ally
    Participant

One of the jobs I do is to go around teaching patients who have MS how to inject themselves with medication SQ at home. It’s usually an easy job and I enjoy doing it. It’s often very rewarding and they are usually very grateful.

But today I went to see a patient and she wanted her boyfriend to be there because she was hell bent on him giving her the injections. The only problem was that he was drunk.  He kept interrupting me repeatedly and would not let me talk. He kept calling me “Doc” and I kept telling him I was not a doctor.   He was not listening and when I asked him how many beers he had, he told me he only had “a couple.” He couldn’t even stand up without holding onto the table and his speech was slurred. He was also really hyper, which made me wonder if he was also doing meth, (or some other crazy drug).

It was hard for me to keep my cool, but I am really angry that he was in that condition and don’t think it was a good idea to be teaching someone who is drunk, but I wasn’t sure what to do. What would you have done in the situation?  I tried to do the best I could, but there’s no way he could demonstrate what I taught him back to me and I just don’t feel comfortable with this. Help??

He was also really loud and obnoxious and the more he drunk the louder he got.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Camaro Lover
    Camaro Lover
    Participant

Sorry this happened to you. Unfortunately these things happen sometimes and we just have to do the best we can to deal with the situation as best we can. It sounds like you did a good job, maintaining even though I’m sure you felt like choking him.

I feel bad for the patient. Was she unable to give herself the shot?

Benson NOC
    Benson NOC
    Participant

That’s awful. You need to report him to your supervisor. No one deserves to be treated that way. Some people are just disgusting.

xrayTed
    xrayTed
    Participant

Wow, that is so messed up. Does she have someone else that can help her? Yes, I would definitely report this to your manager and I would put it in writing, cause you don’t want to be liable for anything I he do and he was so drunk that he is not going to be able to remember everything you taught him.  Good job staying cool about it though. It’s hard enough to go out to patient’s houses by yourself to help them, without running into a fool like him

Too Shy
    Too Shy
    Participant

My gosh! What is wrong with people. That’s crazy! 

Meghan Ally
    Meghan Ally
    Participant

She can’t inject herself because she shakes too badly with her MS.

Yes, I guess I will report the incident to my supervisor. I just hate having to do all the paperwork, for something that wasn’t my fault

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.