Got off on the wrong foot at a new job. What should I do?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Princess Nurse Princess Nurse 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Natalie
    Natalie
    Participant

I work in ICU and I have only been at this hospital for a month. I recently befriended one of the other nurses on my shift. I work days. We have been getting along very well and I considered her a friend. My preceptor took another job at a different hospital and my boss asked my if I would be okay with the other nurses precepting me. Since I considered her a friend I was excited about it and am so glad he suggested it.

She has been training me for the last week, but she seems to have changed. She was so friendly before and now she is very businesslike and doesn’t seem to want to talk about personal things like we used to.

I did share my salary with her only because she asked and as soon as I did she looked shocked and quickly told me that I was making way more than her.

I’m not sure if she’s treating me different because I told her how much I make, or if she is just taking her role as a preceptor very seriously.

Should I ask her what her problem is?

I also walking into the lounge yesterday and she was talking to three other nurses. They immediately got quiet when I came in, like they had been talking about me.

I feel like I’ve gotten off on the wrong foot with a new job, but I don’t know how to fix it. What should I do?

Tara
    Tara
    Participant

A good rule of thumb is that you shouldn’t ever discuss your salary with your coworkers at work. It’s never a good idea. I have never seen anyone have good luck when it comes to discussing your salary.

Mel
    Mel
    Participant

Wow, You are in a bit of a mess.

I certainly wouldn’t bring your salary up again, nor would I try confronting the nurse that’s precepting you. Yes, you should never tell anyone about your salary regardless of how well you think you know them.

I would just stay focused of being a good nurse and being your patient’s advocate.  You should always try to learn by your mistakes. They’re lessons that you take with you throughout life. Just keep your mouth shut and stay business like.

Bewitched
    Bewitched
    Participant

It could just be that she is trying to be a good preceptor and keep things business like. But she could also be a control freak and now she has been given the role of preceptor she thinks she’s above you. Combine that with the fact that you told her you make more than her and you’ve made a recipe for disaster.

You should never talk about such personal information as you salary. Some facilities will even fire you for doing that.

The only thing you can do now is go to work, do your job and don’t try to make friends with everyone. At the end of the day, you work to pay your bills. It’s not a place to socialize

Krista
    Krista
    Participant

Carry on doing your job and learn from this experience. You don’t talk about sex, religion, politics or salary at work.  They are all very sensitive subjects that can offend people or cause issues. Just don’t do it again and they will forget about it eventually!

Patty R
    Patty R
    Participant

Oh dear,

You shouldn’t have disclosed that. But you can’t cry over spilled milk. Just go on about your business and hope that it passes soon. She has probably told the other nurses about your salary as well and that’s why they were talking behind your back.

Maybe you should ask her why she has changed her attitude towards you. That’s what I would do.

Chocolate Lover RN
    Chocolate Lover RN
    Participant

Yeah, probably wasn’t a good decision to tell her how much you make. But she could just be taking her role as a preceptor seriously.  you’re not really there to make friends though

Princess Nurse
    Princess Nurse
    Participant

It could be that you make more if you are a BSN and she is an ADN. But it’s usually not that much more. Maybe just a few cents per hour more. It’s supply and demand. If they needed nurses more when they hired you then they may have paid you more to entice you to take the job and they have every right to do that.

Professionals don’t discuss their salary with coworkers. It’s best to keep that to yourself. Just do your job well and take care of your patients. Make the the number one priority and don’t worry about what everyone else thinks about you.

I Heart Nurses

Stuff like this are why I like this page

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.