Do medical people talk about patient’s genitals behind their back?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Onlyanurse Onlyanurse 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

• Author
    The Mad Bladder
    The Mad Bladder
    Participant

Do medical people talk about patient’s genitals behind their back?

Hey everyone,

I just had surgery and I had to have a procedure which involved showing my genitals while I was asleep. I’m just wondering if medical people make fun of patients genitals? I know I wouldn’t know about it since I would be asleep, but I am just wondering what goes on when patients are asleep or  I nurses and doctors are by themselves.

I have a friend who is a med-tech and he says he sometimes fantasizes about patients when they’re naked. This kinda freaked me out. What is it like seeing people’s genitals all day? I know you must compare some with others…etc?

I’m going to be starting nursing school soon so I would like to know what it is like.

Do medical people talk about patient's genitals behind their back?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #80942 Reply
    Rad Nurse
    Rad Nurse
    Participant

Nursing is a profession. Nurses carry a license. We are responsible for keeping that license in good standing and not being sued or having our license pulled from us for acting like idiots. I’ve never seen any nurse talking, snickering, laughing about anyone’s genitals. Yes, we do see a lot of them, especially in the OR, but we are professionals and we are there to do a job. Seeing so many numbs you after a while. You are just in a clinical mode and you stay that way.

• #80944 Reply

It doesn’t matter whether the patient is asleep or not, we do not act like a bunch of children,,,ever. There are times when we may see something we haven’t seen before and we may discuss it on a clinical level, but we never engage in the behaviors you are referring to.

We are professionals and we do value our license. If I ever saw someone talking about a patient in an unprofessional way I would report them immediately. It’s a “no, no.”

I would never want to be accused of anything like that either so I am always very careful about how I deal with these situations. I have a job to do. I do it and I earn a paycheck to put food on the table for my family. That does not include acting like a bunch of teenagers at a frat party.

• #80946 Reply
    Slick Nurse
    Slick Nurse

No, no and no again. Never. That is highly inappropriate behavior.

• #80985 Reply
    Onlyanurse
    Onlyanurse
    Keymaster

It’s a shame people have to ask questions like this. Absolutely not…ever! It is simply not tolerated and nurses are professionals

Onlyanurse

Reply To: Do medical people talk about patient’s genitals behind their back?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: