What Skills Make Great ER Nurses?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Krista Krista 9 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author
    Krista
    Krista
    Participant

I had this question asked to me by a new grad recently. It did make me wonder what the best skills and qualities make the best ER nurses?  What do you think?

Tasha
    Tasha
    Participant

I think time management skills are the most important skills to have in the ER.  It’s a fast paced environment too, so you need to be able to work effectively under stress and many nurses are not able to do this.

Punchy
    Punchy
    Participant

Time management skills are essential, but it’s important not to get too cocky when you’re an ER nurse and not judgemental. You see a little biit of everything when you work in the ER and when you  believe you’ve seen everything you’ll quickly learn that you haven’t.

You need the patience of a saint to work in an ER and really tough skin because it’s not a place for weak personalities. There are a lot of type “A”s in the ER

Paul
    Paul
    Participant

You really need to know how to prioritize and triage patients well.You need to be able to look at someone and read their body language as well as listening to what they’re are saying, objectively and subjectively. Pay attention to theit body language and you also need to be able to keep patient’s family members from getting out of control.

You need a lot of energy to work in the ER and the ability to muti-task.

Corey
    Corey
    Participant

You need to be able to work well with a team. It’s imperative that you know the people you work with and you all understand your role in a critical emergency.

You also need a good sense of humor, or you’ll go crazy. Life and death situations are what we deal with and it’s highly impotant that you really need to laugh, or you’ll cry

Krista
    Krista
    Participant

LOL You do need a good sense of humor!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.