Thoughts on ED VS Homecare?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Michelle 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Author

Michelle
    Participant

Hi all, spent 20 years in ED nursing left for 3 yrs to do homecare and considering going back to ED. Home care, though great, can be a little disconcerting; the neighborhoods, random acts of violence. Not to mention a boss that second guesses everything I did, would have done things differently, and was generally just a bully! Of course ER is stressing but at least you have backup, people that can witness what you see and how things are “in the moment.” No one like a Monday morning quarterback!
    Thoughts?

ED VS Homecare

Conger
    Conger
    Participant

I Think that you should consider the fact that having a crappy manager can happen anywhere. Ask yourself if that is the reason you really want to leave homecare, and if it is then you’re switching specialties for the wrong reasons and you may end up really disappointed when you find you have another manager in the ER that’s even worse than the one you have now.

I think the ER is a great place to work, but it’s a very stressful environment, so if you’re looking for something that’s less stressful I wouldn’t choose the ER. Maybe case management would meet your needs better. It’s no patient care and you could probably transistion to case management by having experiencing in homecare. There is also the option to work from home

Angelina Jackson
    Angelina Jackson
    Participant

I would never work in home care. It would scare me too much to go to people’s houses like that. I love the ED and always enjoyed working there, but I agree, with others that you need to analyze why you want to switch specialties before you do it, because there are some really nasty nurse managers in the ED

Michelle
    Participant

Thanks for the advice. Actually considering a pediatric rehab/nsg home.
    It might be nice to relax a bit, emotionally.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.