The Floor Nurses Are Nasty?!?!

This topic contains 12 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Tara Tara 1 year ago.

• Author
    Karen
    Karen
    Participant

I worked on the med-surg floor at my hospital for 6 years and I was used to having a 8:1 ratio with pretty sick patients most of the time. It was hard and I was frequently overwhelmed and went without breaks a lot, but I always have a smile on my face.

Now I’m on the other side of the coin working in the ER which is very busy most of the time and there are always a ton of admits that need to be transferred to rooms. Again, I do it with a smile on my face. I don’t just drop the patient off and leave them either. I help with monitors and spend time giving a full report before I go. But I’m finding that many of the nurses on the floor have a bad attitude. I know they’re busy and get lot’s of admits, but that’s not my fault. Why do they have to be so mean about it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    David
    David
    Participant

Seems to me that 8:1 is a ridiculous nurse to patient ratio and it could be very dangerous. I hate this because nurses get exhausted and overworked and then they make mistakes and can lose their license over it. It’s not your fault it’s your hospitals fault for overworking people. That’s nuts

PaulaNurse
    PaulaNurse
    Participant

Med-surg nurses are known to be nasty. They have no clue what ER nurses do, but most of us know what they do. The don’t know how nuts it can get in the ER. I don’t feel like I was nasty when I was a floor nurse, but I’m sure I wasn’t the nicest person in the world either.

A lot of the floor nurses are intimidated by ER nurses and find things to nit-pick about whenever they can. I know it’s annoying, but I’d just kill them with kindness. Do your job well and get back to the ER.  Good luck!

PPJ Nurse
    PPJ Nurse
    Participant

You can’t take it personally. Regardless of where you are working nursing is stressful and we are frequently understaffed which makes the “non-profit hospital” richer and the nurses burned out and exhausted, but they don’t give a crap.

Christine BSN
    Christine BSN
    Participant

It is crappy to get another admission when you are up to your eyeballs as it is. Some nurses can’t hide their feelings and will take it out on you. It’s the nature of the beast. It’s not usually anything personal. Just be nice, get your job done and move on.

Mel
    Mel
    Participant

Well, you never know how bad someone’s day has been, so try to give them the benefit of the doubt, but if they’re constantly nasty you should probably report it to their charge nurse, or yours. It’s not okay to be rude and mean to nurses that are just trying to transfer a patient. We’re all busy, but there’s no excuse for rudeness

Krista
    Krista
    Participant

I work in med-surg and I always try to put myself in other shoes. I’ve never worked in the ED, but I can assure you that I’m not rude to the ED nurses when I have an admission. It’s NOT their fault that It’s my 5th admit of the day and all my patients are extremely sick. I still put on a smile and try to be nice. Especially in front of the patients. It’s wrong to be mean just cause you’re overworked and overwhelmed.

Benson NOC
    Benson NOC
    Participant

ER nurses often have bad attitudes too. So make sure you’re not being nasty and you just don’t realize it. A bad attitude is contagious. It’s nice that you take the time to help with monitors and other hook ups. It’s very annoying when an ER nurse just leaves the patient there and rushes away without giving proper report.

I’m sure it’s upsetting to you because you’re doing a good job and they don’t appreciate you. But you don’t work for appreciation, or you wouldn’t be in nursing. Just let it roll off and continue doing what you do

Evelyn Estipona

I got used to it. No more worries. 😇😇

Rebekka889
    Rebekka889
    Participant

I hate it that you’re such a good nurse and you get no thanks for it, but understand that there are a lot of times when we get admits from the ED and they are not cared for. They sometimes have vomit on their gown and sheets, they’re starving and in pain, not to mention code browns that haven’t been cleaned up and caused them to smell. It does suck to get an admit that has been down in the ED with

Cleaning dried up poop from a patient is not any nurse’s cup of tea and I would probably not be very nice if I was given an admit like that. There’s always a rift between ER nurses and floor nurses. They just don’t understand eachother and never will

Patty R
    Patty R
    Participant

I work in med-surg and I do get mad when a patient is transferred without test being done. If there is blood work, labs or other test done it makes much more sense to do them while the patient in the ED. You also owe it to us not to send up a patient that has dried up fecal matter stuck to them and the wreak of urine. Clean them up…Please.

If there are CTs or MRIs that need to be completed then do them in the ED. Don’t make us do the admit then have to take them back downstairs to get an MRI. If you did this to me I would be livid and I am often.

It sounds as if you’re a great nurse, so keep it up and ignore the nay-sayers

Kimberly D.

Wow.  Has any one who has responded ever worked the other side of the coin?  I’ve worked both sides of this argument, and it goes both ways.  ED just needs to empty their beds…  Treat ’em and street ’em.  Get them where they need to go because they’ve always got more coming in.  MS, on the other hand, is always a revolving door.  Getting patients for multiple units, many at the same time, often when they really are elbows deep in something else, and neither department has the patience or the time to give the other the courtesy of a two minute breather.   It’s just the nature of the beast, poor staffing, frustration, aggrevation.  And, probably a cranky nurse on either side of that report sheet.

Have  E a nice day.

Tara
    Tara
    Participant

Wake up! Nursing is not an easy job and I am tired of people who complain just because they’re doing a job. I’m sure you don’t always smile at people, because we all have bad days. Walk away from it and just know that you’re the better person for being nice

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.