Do ED nurses make more money than nurses in Med-Surg?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Tara Tara 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Tara
    Tara
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I just have a quick question. I have only ever worked in the ED and I’m wondering if the ED nurses make more that Med-Surg nurses?

I’m getting pretty burned-out wit the ED and wouldn’t mind switching to Med-Surg. A couple of nurses have told me that Med-Surg nurses make more money. Does anyone know if this is true?

do er nurses make more than med-surg nursing

Jane Mitchel
    Jane Mitchel
    Participant

I think they’re all just about the same. When nurses begin working at our facility, if they’re a new graduate then they will make the same amount regardless of the department they work in.
    Now, when it comes to call and shift differential then those can vary depending on the department, which in turn would affect the amount you make altogether.

Krista
    Krista
    Participant

I agree, I think every department is the same with the exception of sign-on bonuses, shift diff and call.

I suppose if they are really desperate they would pay yo a slightly higher salary to get you in the door.

Paul
    Paul
    Participant

Emergency nursing is similar to critical care nursing and any specialty that is critical care is compensated more. It’s always been that way where I work anyway.

I think every hospital is different.

Noelle
    Noelle
    Participant

At our hosital, they do pay a critical care differential for ICU, CCU, NICU,MICU and ED. We make $2.50 more an hour that someone who works in med-Surg, or a non-critical area

Angelina Jackson
    Angelina Jackson
    Participant

I’ve lived all over the west coast and I do travel nursing. But nurses who work in the ER are paid more on the west coast. I worked ER, but it still wasn’t enough money to work full time in the ER when you live in California. The cost of living is so very high here.

I pay $50,000 a year just for childcare. It’s awful. So I decided to do travel nursing instead and I get to keep more of my money because the cost of living is less in many of the states I travel to and child care is nowhere near as high.

Patty Hagan Crowley

I was an ER nurse a long time. You make more by the years. New graduates make less. I could never go back to med surg after ER. I think much harder working the floors.

Barb Middleton

Absolutely the ER takes much more education and specific skills then working on the floor as a nurse.

Sanya Cypert

Probably depends on where (which state/county) you work and whether or not you’re union.

Siobhan Legge

Not in Western Australia.

Jayne Gale

i’m pretty sure here in s.a you are under an award rate and it depends on your years of nursing as to your pay rate not where you work

Dana Campbell
    Participant

Oh my! Med-surg? Who cares if they make more money?! They deserve every penny the job is so much harder than ER. Besides, it’s not a common move to go from ER to the floor. Have you considered post anesthesia care? On med surg the patients that drive you crazy for an hour will have the opportunity to drive you crazy for a whole shift! 😂

Tara
      Tara
      Participant

OMG I guess you’re right LOL I don’t know if I could handle that. Maybe I should consider PACU or another specialty

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.