I'm way too slow-help

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Bethany Bethany 6 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Ms Thang
    Ms Thang
    Participant

I just started working in dialysis, but I am finding it difficult to keep up and I’m so incredibly slow.

I just really don’t know what I can do to speed things up because when I try to hurry up, then I end up forgetting to do something. I keep forgetting to clamp the N/S lines. My boss has told me that I need to speed it up a bit, but also gets on me when I make mistakes.

I just don’t know how I’m supposed to speed up while not making errors and being so new at this.I hope that I don’t end up with a write-up or worse, harming a patient because I’m trying to hurry and get them in and out quickly.

Bethany
    Bethany
    Participant

It’s normal to be slow at first. It’s would be concerning if you weren’t slow. But you need to hone in on your time management skills.

Everyone has a different way to makes things flow the best. So what one person may tell you works for them, may not work for you.

Having your supplies ready in the beginning can save a lot of time running back and forth to get supplies.

Grab your heparin, any antibiotics or other medications

Always check orders thoroughly.

Load your machine and get it priming.

Do all the charting you can in advance. documenting all the checks and balances with the machine.

Slow down and tell your charge nurse that you will probably be slow until you get your groove.

Don’t move on to another patient until you are done with the present one. This is why you’re forgetting things. Why you are probably forgetting to close clamps and other important tasks of dialysis

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.