Totally freaking out about this. Please help

This topic contains 22 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Verna Gattone 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Punchy
    Punchy
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I’m an RN, but I’ve only been a nurse a little over a year and had a very traumatic experience a couple of days ago and now I can’t even eat or sleep and I’m so stressed out and anxiety-ridden.

I was working by myself covering most of the jail, because it was night shift. Usually, things are quite quiet and I don’t have much going on.  But a couple of nights ago I was told by one of the correctional officers that there was an inmate lying on the floor unconscious. Her mouth was frothing and I’ve never seen anything like that. I completely freaked out and froze.

Eventually after about twenty minutes (although I really don’t know how long it was) but it seemed like it was forever, I began administering CPR and called for EMS to transport the patient out. I continued to do CPR till they got there, but the inmate was obviously dead and there wasn’t a lot I could do.

Now, I’m blaming myself that she died and thinking she would have survived if I had of sprung into action faster. I’m afraid that I’m going to get sued because of this or lose my license

I haven’t spoken to my manager about it yet, but I’m really worried. Should I be concerned? I mean, I’m only human and surely they can’t punish me for panicking.

Totally freaking out about this. Please help

Krista
    Krista
    Participant

I think you worry is warranted. You could be in big trouble. It will probably depend on the coroner’s report. If there are toxins in the inmate that led to her death. If they conclude that despite all efforts she would have died anyway, then you may just get a slap on the back, but if they find that this inmate could have been saved if intervention had have been carried out earlier, then you may be in a pile of trouble by your employer the BON and lawsuits.

Unfortunately, as nurses we are NOT allowed to be human and must act very quickly with situations like this. If you can’t-do that and have a meltdown every time something like this happens then you’ve got some serious problems and should probably consider a career change before someone does die on your watch

Andrea Morana
    Participant

Definitely a scary situation. WIth the frothing at the mouth it makes me think it’s drug related and the toxicology report will tell that tale. You need to learn by this experience. You can’t afford to just freeze, it could cost someone their life.

Wanda Knight Williams

Give her a break, she’s new at this. I really think it’s not appropriate for a nurse to be alone on the job, should be two clinical people on (at the least)

Verna Gattone

I agree should be atleast 2

Verna Gattone

The only job i wanted to do but the hubby said he would rather me not

Heather Brannon Headley

It sucks but that’s jail nursing. Being alone in most jails. Unless it is a huge jail. You can’t wait 20min to start CPR. But jail staff is also trained in that. But I know how they like to stand and watch a nurse try to tend to an inmate, knowing we need to also call paramedics.

Wanda Knight Williams

Give her a break, she’s new at this. I really think it’s not appropriate for a nurse to be alone on the job, should be two clinical people on (at the least)

Verna Gattone

Heather Brannon Headley

It sucks but that’s jail nursing. Being alone in most jails. Unless it is a huge jail. You can’t wait 20min to start CPR. But jail staff is also trained in that. But I know how they like to stand and watch a nurse try to tend to an inmate, knowing we need to also call paramedics.

Wanda Knight Williams

Verna Gattone

Carolyn Gibson Wilson

Not a good idea being left all alone even for a seasoned nurse. The people who put you in this situation have some accountability too.

Verna Gattone

Heather Brannon Headley

Heather Brannon Headley

Wanda Knight Williams

Wanda Knight Williams

Verna Gattone

Verna Gattone

Carolyn Gibson Wilson

Not a good idea being left all alone even for a seasoned nurse. The people who put you in this situation have some accountability too.

Carolyn Gibson Wilson

Verna Gattone

Verna Gattone

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.