Advice of new burn nurses

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Bethany Bethany 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Andrea Morana
    Participant

Hi everyone, I’m a newby nurse with a year of experience in ICU experience. I’ve now moved to the burn ICU and really happy because that’s what I want to do. I am a fairly new nurse with 1 1/2 years of experience

But, I feel like I’m in over my head here in this specialty. I feel like I don’t know anything, suddenly and that’s highly intimidating. Even though this is still ICU and I have ICU experience, this is very different.

I would like some advice on how to deal with this change

Bethany
    Bethany
    Participant

Burn nursing can be very rewarding, but there is a bit of a learning curve. Welcome to Burns!

visit the American Burn Association website. There are tons of articles there that you can read and you don’t have to be a member of the site to do so. You can also ask for a preceptor for a few days, till you feel more comfortable too.

You need to understand blood gases. hemodynamics and labs values. You’ll also need to know what you’re doing with SWANS.

Know your medications that are used in burns. Obviously, there are a lot of narcs used. You should know the fluid resuscitation guidelines.

PALS and ACLS are great resources. There are also a lot of great burn ICU books. Check with your nurse educator for books related to burn nursing. Take them home and read them.

Burn nursing is a great specialty, but it can get quite emotional at times. These patients are in horrendous pain and the constant dressing changes make it even more painful for them

You need a lot of empathy in BICU. Good luck and I hope this helps you.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.