Treating agency nurses rudely-What do I do about this?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Mel Mel 5 months ago.

• Author
    Cookie Monster
    Cookie Monster
    Participant

So I started agency nursing after a recruiter and I spoke several times and talked me into it. I have been off work after knee surgery for about a year and I’m ready to get back to work.

I started two weeks ago on a 13 week contract and I realize just how nosey nurses can be with agency nurses. They can also be downright unhelpful as well. I don’t know if it’s because they’re jealous of agency nurses but it’s almost like they want you to fail. They seem extremely cliquey and don’t even want to waste time giving you a decent report or any type of precepting that’s any good.

They want to know how much you make right off the bat and I think that’s really rude.I would never dream of asking anyone I just met how much they make at their job.

They also don’t want to get to work on time or spend any time listening to you give report. I’m fed up with full-time nurses giving agency nurses such a hard time and being really rude asking inappropriate¬†questions. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thank you in advance. I don’t know what to do about this.

agency nursing

Stacey
    Stacey
    Participant

I think you should think about what they are going through first. How would you like to work somewhere for 10 years or more and then they hire an agency nurse tto come in and work along side you. They are being paid twice as much as you and you have much more knowledge of the place where you work and the people and equipment you work with.

I think you’d be a bit upset about that too. I don’t think it’s right for them to be asking you how much you make, but it is hard to deal with agency nurses at times, because they are pretty clueless when the start working with you

Angela Browning RN
    Angela Browning RN
    Participant

Agency nurses are often treated awful and I’ve seen it over and over. It happens all the time and I do feel bad for them. I’m not sure why nurses have such a hard time uniting and being advocates of one another. It’s a shame that nurses don’t get along so often.

I just think we all need to be a little nicer and more thoughtful. Regardless of whether we are full time nurses or agency nurses. I have done both and both are equally as hard. I agree that agency nurses are treated unfairly most of the time.

David
    David
    Participant

Stick up for yourself. Tell them that you don’t talk salary and it’s a violation of your contract to discuss it. Don’t let them bully you and always ask for a proper training.

One of the problems I found as an agency nurse is the way nurses that are full-time expect you to just go right in and know exactly where everything is and hop into action without knowing anything. You deserve to be trained just like they get training and if you don’t get it then say something.

Mel
    Mel
    Participant

This really irritates me because most full time nurses have no clue what agency nursing is all about. They think they want to make what agency nurses make, but when you actually break it down to them and tell them that you don’t receive any health insurance or other benefits, you’re away from your family for weeks and often months.
    You don’t have your own home to go home to at night and you are in a strange place. You deserve to be paid more. Just ignore them and hold their feet to the fire when it comes to giving adequate report and training

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.