Can You Be Charged With Patient Abandonment for This?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Alien Nurse Alien Nurse 4 months ago.

• Author
    Alicia
    Alicia
    Participant

Hello everybody,

I hope everyone is having an awesome St.Patricks day. I have a question regarding patient abandonment.

I just started working at a facility and I refused to come into work because I found out ahead of time that I was going to be left alone with only one CNA. I am very new and have not been adequately trained yet. I am only able to shadow when there is enough nurses. It’s a small hospital and not many patients, but I called in and told them that I would not be coming in because I did not want to be alone on a floor when I have not been totally trained yet.

I know that my skills are fine, I just do not feel comfortable working by myself, when I am not familiar enough with the phones, the protocol for admitting and discharge and EMR. They also promised me that I wouldn’t be alone till I felt comfortable.
    Now, I am wondering if I am paranoid because I am thinking that they will fire me or that I can be charged with patient abandonment and lose my license. What are your thoughts guys?

Angelina Jackson
    Angelina Jackson
    Participant

You can alway refuse an assignment that you feel is unsafe or compromises your moral, ethical or religious beliefs. If you feel you are not competent to care for patients because you are undertrained then that would be a reason to refuse an assignment and not get charged with patient abandonment. You can refuse an unsafe assignment. It will usually happen during change of shift and you’ll need to notify management

Beanie
    Beanie
    Participant

You can be charged with abandonment for taking report then refusing the assignment. As far as calling in sick to a new job because of this I think it’s pretty serious. Why didn’t you just tell them you were sick if you knew ahead of time?You can be charged with abandonment if you get report.. then refuse.

Agency nurses make a lot of money because they are there to work in place of others. They are supposed to be able to work with minimal training and have to be really good at what they do. If you’re a seasoned nurse then you shouldn’t need that much training.

Just knowing where stuff is should be ample training for any agency nurse

Bethany
    Bethany
    Participant

Well, that was a bit dumb! Besides, isn’t that why agency nurses make a bunch of money? I wouldn’t keep doing that or you won’t be agency much longer.

Alien Nurse
    Alien Nurse
    Participant

Why are other nurses so mean to agency nurses. I don’t get it.  They are there to  help units that are understaffed, don’t be so mean to them. They deserve to make more money because they often are away from home traveling without their loved ones and the comforts of home.

They are also alone without friends. Every nurse has the right to adequate training, regardless of whether they are agency or and FT nurse. Be nice!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.