Can't Handle Detox Nursing Anymore?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Tara Tara 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Tara
    Tara
    Participant

I’ve been a detox nurses now for 2 years and while I want to help people who suffer from addictions I really can’t handle their manipulative behavior anymore and their constant dis-respect and lies.

I dread going to work anymore and I often wonder why I decided that this would be a good choice for me.

This is the only job I’ve had as a nurse because I went right into addiction nursing as soon as I graduated college.

I can’t stand the volatility of the interactions with people who are detoxing. It’s draining after a while and quite depressing. I’m just wondering if all nursing is this way? Or is detox nursing just over the top when it comes to patients and their behavior

Princess Nurse
    Princess Nurse
    Participant

Those are the sentiments of many detox nurses unfortunately.  Patients are playing the victm role so badly that they’re incredibly needy and so very demanding. I so feel your pain, I’m in Detox unit almost 2 years now, my first job. Starting to feel bitter, patients are so needy, demanding. I used to think that maybe I would make a difference in someone life, but not very much

I joined addiction nursing because I thought that I would be able to make a difference in the lives of people who suffer from addictions. But now I’m feeling pretty jaded about it and hate going to work now too. I’m seriously thinking about trying a different specialty before I get so locked into this that I can’t get out…yikes LOL

Pauly
    Pauly
    Participant

What’s causing all this disrespect and being spoken to like dirt?  Is it the administration at the facility that’s to blame?ing

All detox patients (try) to get away with being manipulative and demanding, this is typical drug-seeking behavior. Does te facility have some sort of protocol for dealing with these types of patients.

No one deserves to be yelled at, but perhaps your approach should change. If you allow them to yell at you then it’ll keep happening. Learn to walk away when they get this way and they’ll quickly learn that it does no good to act that way.

PPJ Nurse
    PPJ Nurse
    Participant

Perhaps you should do some introspection. Taking a good luck at your reaction to the situation, not the actions of others. Afterall, you can’t control them, but you can’t control the way you react and respond.

It’s no fun to hate your job. Addictions nursing isn’t for everyone and it’s not worth doing if you don’t like it. You may just not be cut out of it and maybe you should try another specialty. No one can make the decision for you. Only you know how much you can handle.

Talk to others that you work with, if you trust them and see if they can offer you any advice that is more directed to your facility.

Keep your chin up. If it’s that bad then things can only get better.

Lindley
    Lindley
    Participant

Detox nursing is difficult. It’s hard on your mind and tough on your body. Unfortunately I think some of what compounds the problem is the frequent flyers that never seem to learn and have the tendency to both disgust you and make you feel really bitter.

Focus on the patients that are new and haven’t been there before. Usually this is their first rodeo and they haven’t been using long. These are the patients that have the potential to change for the better and the rewards of helping one of these patients and not seeing them come back is wonderful .

It’s really all about how much you are willing to deal with and yes, addiction nursing isn’t for everyone. You have to have very tough skin to deal with manipulative people on a daily basis.

Bewitched
    Bewitched
    Participant

Learn to react differently. it sounds to me like you’re a push over and that’s not okay when you work in such a chaotic, manipulative environment with patients who have an immense sense of entitlement and think everything is someone else’s fault. Don’t enable them.  Support them, but never enable their destructive behavior. They’ll drive you crazy if you do.

Maria Lourdes Garcia

Hi..found this interesting. ..I was a registered nurse..worked in nursing homes and even a creche. ..never with challenging people though suffer lots of crime and anti social behaviour. ..serious..made my life hell..know exactly what you refer to

Nursiiiz

I’m in recovery now 14yrs sober, and i have served in addictive nursing for the most “entitled”  group of clients, many of whom are millennials with rich parents….

Yeah it’s tough,  but you do what you can and know to your best ability,  mental health assessment goes hand in hand with addiction!   A keen sense of mental health and VS medical assessment, boom you’ve done your job!   Leave the rest, like counselling and diagnosing to the rest of the team!   You can only do so much Nurse <3

I am currently working as a corrections nurse and we get all that in clients AND MORE!   I love my job, and i am right where I want to be, Nursing is a field where you can change your service direction anytime, and as often as you like!   Stay positive friends, and move on once you’ve had enough <3 Self care is monumental, blessed be  B-)

Tara
      Tara
      Participant

I think if you are unhappy you should move to a different specialty. You’re not making your patients happy if you’re not happy and that’s sad for everyone involved.

Addiction nursing is difficult, but you need to be interested in helping these types of patient to feel like you’ve made a difference.

Just like people who have other diseases addiction is a disease and the manipulative behavior is one of the symptoms and so is lying and stealing. Addiction nursing can draw the life out of you if you let it.

If I were you and you still want to do addiction nursing, I would be sure to read some more information and books about addiction nursing and it’ll will help you understand how to help people suffering from this horrible disease without enabling them or feeling bitter towards them.

Just my two cents  🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.