1. If they’re 90, let them eat french fries. I wouldn’t want someone telling me I couldn’t eat junk food when I’m 90. Let them have the salt even with their high blood pressure and congestive heart failure. It’s called quality of life!
2. Nursing isn’t for people who want to complain, whine or have a soft skin. Put your big girl panties on and get over it.
3. Patients will always wait till you’re back at the nurses station before they hit the call bell again!.
4. If I don’t care about myself, I cannot care for others. .
5. My nose will always itch when I am covered in pus, poop and blood. And the doctor that I’ve been trying to reach all day will always call back when I just gowned up, and I’m in an isolation room.
6. Healing someone’s spirit is always as important as healing their mind.
7. The one patient out of 100 that thanks me before they leave, when I didn’t believe they would EVER leave alive makes my job worthwhile.
8. Some patients get well in spite of what we do to help. Others get well because of us.
9. If you think you can’t, you can’t and you’ll always be interrupted by those who can and will.
10. The more a patient acts like they don’t need help, the more they do.
12. Miracles do happen.
13. Nursing is about sharing your wisdom, it’s how we heal others.
14. Every day is a gift. Don’t believe me? Spend one day in an ICU.
15. In life there are no guarantees, but that’s part of the challenge.
16. Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional
17. There are three types of people in this world: The ones that make it happen, the ones that watch things happen and the ones that say, “what happened?” Which one are you?
18. If I cannot cure, then I can still care.
19. Don’t compare yourself with others, be accountable for yourself.
20. Don’t take life too seriously. None of us get out alive.
21. Attitude is everything.
22. Your past does not define your future.